2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:33 AM
Sehr916
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Install

Hi. I am seriously considering a B&M Transmission Cooler from Summit and was hoping for both help with the install and other's recommendations. Does anyone have a B&M cooler and do they like it. Does anyone recommend a different one. Could someone give me an easy step by step install with the tools I will need. This is the one I am considering:Transmission Cooler It looks like it comes with everything I will need. Does it? Thanks a lot!

Old 04-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Angelflight
Rookie
Default RE: Transmission Cooler Install

I Have a Haden Heavy Duty cooler on my truck. My Ram has a factory Aux cooler. If you have a Factory Aux cooler then the hoses coming off of the Radiator will already be barbed and held on with hose clamps. I just removed on of the hoses and then ran the other cooler in line. Meaning from the radiator the hose runs to the stock aux cooler. Then to the new cooler then to the trans. Sorry i have no pictures but maybe this will help you.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Hi thanks. How can I check If i have the transmission cooler. I just read the service manual and it says its standard but I have never really looked. I know I have that thing in front of the radiator but isnt that the ac condensor? Thanks for the input

Old 04-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Its sanwiched inbetween the radiator and the a/c cooler. Its kinda hard to see but if you get a flashlight or just look in there on a sunny day you can see it

Old 04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Follow the trans lines out of the radiator. If they go around the front of the radiator, you have one. If they just go by the motor, you don't.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a Flex-a-lite part# 4232. I tried several of the smaller sizes (GVW ratings around 17,000-22,000), but they just didn't cut it at all (made almost no difference). Mine is rated at 32,000 GVW, and does a great job. I think the smaller ones would work fine if you bypass the radiator though.

That one you linked to looks pretty good. It is kinda small, but that's ok because it is thick. That combined with the fact that it is a plate and fin design should make it a decent cooler. Looks like everything you need is included.

Here is how I installed mine. There are other ways, but this has worked very well for me.
[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/8EEE0FB1E3A14AC0A0EC2F54720E40F7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Also, all auto Rams have a transmission cooler. They utulize the radiator for cooling. Stock trans line come off of the transmission, go into the radiator, and back out to the transmission. What you are looking for is if you have an auxillary trans cooler that was part of the towing package. It is sandwiched between the radiator and the condesor as mentioned. If you have that, you would probably be fine as is, or just replace it with a better cooler. If you have nothing (lines go into radiator and directly back to trans only), then installing a cooler would be a great idea to help prolong the life of your trans.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Okay thanks, Next chance I get I will check for the aux cooler.

Stupid question but. I always thought the radiator was to cool the engine coolant. How does a radiator also cool Transmission fluid as well? Thank you very much.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Sehr916

Okay thanks, Next chance I get I will check for the aux cooler.

Stupid question but. I always thought the radiator was to cool the engine coolant. How does a radiator also cool Transmission fluid as well? Thank you very much.
The radiator has a separate "area" (not really a tank) on the bottom that the transmission fluid runs though. Pretty much ALL vehicles with automatic transmissions have this. Not sure if manuals do or not....never worked on one before [>:]

When I was researching buying a diesel (before I bought my V10) I read that a lot of guys that tow buy the coolers that you mount under the bed (with an electric fan on them). Those seemed to be the most effective, due to their size. They probably wouldn't be a good idea if you're someone that does a lot of wheeling though.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Also, check out this post for an alternative way to install a trans cooler.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_430898/tm.htm

Look for the post by Racinfan83. He has a good trans cooler setup and a nice write up of his install.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Install