2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Surging/Bucking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 AM
mikebrown123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging/Bucking while driving

Not sure how to even ask for advise on this one. 2001 RAM 1500 Sport 5.9ltr 360 with about 55000 miles and lots of past repairs. Street ONLY truck!!

For a little while, I have been having surging while in Park or idling at lights...the RPM's will go from the normal 600-700 up to 1500 almost like I was pushing on the accelerator. I can kick it down for a little while, but it comes back after a few minutes. Now, while driving, I am getting a bucking/surging while driving down the road and it seems to be running like crap. I am getting NO backfiring and there is a slight loss of power. If I gun it and get the RPM's up to 3500 or so, it seems just fine. Mostly happens around 40mph and the RPM's don't race or drop when it is having the issue (most of the time now).

A while back, I had a CE light come on and had the Auto Store plug it in (could barely climb hills) and found it had a mis-fire on #8. I replaced the Plugs and Wires and the light went off and everything was running great.

I am due to have a TB cleaning and injectors blown out, but does this sound like anything more serious (tranny)? I also notice that on my TransferCase, it seems to be 'wet' around that crappy plastic plug, but not dripping in the Driveway.

Had some other problems a couple weeks back and needed to change the passenger side hub as I had a bad wheel bearing (actually how I found this forum). I think I got a lemon as I have done way too mush to this truck for it only being 5 years old and problems started shortly after I got it (new off the showroom floor).

I will be a regular on this site as I am keeping it because it's paid for and I really have a love/hate thing gong on!!!!

Old 06-13-2006, 11:01 AM
mavrik
Default RE: Surging/Bucking while driving

the surging sounds like the TPS has gone out....you can try cleaning the TB but if continues the tps is producing static...

Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 AM
mikebrown123

That would be great...if I am going to take it all apart for the TB cleaning and adding of a spacer (JUST KIDDING!!!), then I will just replave the TPS. Doesn't seem like it would be too expensive.

Any other advise??

Old 06-13-2006, 11:44 AM
mikebrown123

I found the following...any recommendations???

GP Sorensen Throttle Position Sensor $27.77

Niehoff Ignition Throttle Position Sensor $41.99 REBUILT

Standard Motor Products Throttle Position Sensor $52.99

Thanks

Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 AM
mikebrown123

Any recommendations for a brand of TPS??

Old 06-14-2006, 01:19 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

I dont have a recommendation on a tps, they're probably all equally good. what i'd suggest 1st is open your fuse box and check your o2 sensor heater fuse. this being blown can cause similar problems to what you describe.

also do you have any problems with your a/c heater system where it only blows on the windshield?

edit: Oh yeah, do you have a CE light on? have you tried to get the codes out yet? key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds will spit them out the odometer and read PDone when all the codes have been displayed

Old 06-14-2006, 05:51 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

I would say that the idle surge problem is a dirty Idle Air Control motor. It is on the back of the throttle body. You can remove the whole throttle body yourself (directions on www.thefastman.com) and clean it yourself. Take the IAC and the TPS off the tb, spray the whole tb well with spray carb cleaner. Be sure to get inside the hole the IAC came out of and the plunger on it. Replace the TPS while you are at it. I got mine at O' Reillys auto parts for $32. Most parts stores actually have a tps for your truck. Put everything back together and unhook your battery cable. Turn your ignition key to "run" for 20 seconds or so, turn it back off, and reconnect the batt cable. This will reset your computer. Be sur to do a couple of "wide open throttle" runs in the first 40 miles after resetting the computer so it "sees" wot.

DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON A TB SPACER!!!! They don't work on fuel injected vehicles.....DONT DO IT!

Old 08-13-2006, 02:39 PM
mikebrown123

OK,

I went and bought the GP Sorensen Throttle Position Sensor from Advance Auto (part # 779-3692). Changing it was easy (as long as you have a star bit).

When I installed it, I mouted it and plugged in the Electric Harness. I DID NOT CLICK IN AND LOCK. It pushes on all the way, but does not click in. I would assume that over time, it would losen and come off.

DID I GET THE WRONG PART????

Old 08-14-2006, 08:19 PM
mikebrown123

I took the TPS back to the store and they got me a new one...seems the one I got first had some of the plastic flashing still on the part where it clips into the wiring harness...new one clips in perfectly. Now I need to see if this was the problem.

The question that I have is, I see in one of the posts for this question recommending that it also could be the IAC motor. It recommends that after the installation that I unhook the Battery (-) and turn the ignition to start for 20 seconds. Do I NEED to do this for the TPS, or do I just replace it and start to go.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

no you dont need to unless it thru a code. if you have any codes then do the reset on the comp to clear them. it'll take 200~300 miles before any problems pop up if there are any...

Quick Reply: Surging/Bucking while driving