2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Common 5.9 motor (gas “ issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 10:15 PM
Slightlycrazy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Common 5.9 motor (gas “ issues

Hello, I’m new to dodge engines so I don’t know the idiosyncrasies. Bought a 2000 ram w/ 5.9 gas motor. Ran a little off w/ some smoke so I did the aftermarket plenum upgrade. Started up great, smoke appeared gone and performance issues were gone. After driving it a couple times it started smoking pretty bad, this time both tailpipes, idle a little off and misfire codes on #1 and #8. You would think the plenum fix failed, but the sluggishness and shifting issues are still gone along with the weird whistle I used to hear at cruise speed. While it’s idling I hear a loud suction noise, figure it’s just air sucking through the air box but didn’t know if it was normal. I wouldn’t think that was a leak because the engine wouldn’t stay running.

Any ideas or even general things related or not to look for with the 5.9 would be helpful. I’ve always had GM cars (don’t shoot me) but nowfind myself with 3 dodge/ Chrysler vehicles.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-28-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Slightlycrazy
Hello, I’m new to dodge engines so I don’t know the idiosyncrasies. Bought a 2000 ram w/ 5.9 gas motor. Ran a little off w/ some smoke so I did the aftermarket plenum upgrade. Started up great, smoke appeared gone and performance issues were gone. After driving it a couple times it started smoking pretty bad, this time both tailpipes, idle a little off and misfire codes on #1 and #8. You would think the plenum fix failed, but the sluggishness and shifting issues are still gone along with the weird whistle I used to hear at cruise speed. While it’s idling I hear a loud suction noise, figure it’s just air sucking through the air box but didn’t know if it was normal. I wouldn’t think that was a leak because the engine wouldn’t stay running.

Any ideas or even general things related or not to look for with the5.9 would be helpful. I’ve always had GM cars (don’t shoot me) but nowfind myself with 3 dodge/ Chrysler vehicles.
What exactly are your symptoms?

Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 AM
99DR
Rookie

Originally Posted by Slightlycrazy

Any ideas or even general things related or not to look for with the 5.9 would be helpful. I’ve always had GM cars (don’t shoot me) but nowfind myself with 3 dodge/ Chrysler vehicles.
Engine won't stay running at idle, and a sucking noise? Confirm that there are no vacuum leaks. You removed your intake manifold, then it started doing this? I'd start with the hoses that connect to the intake manifold. Then check the actual manifold, where it bolts to the heads. There's really not a lot of difference between a Dodge and a Chevy, really. An engine is an engine.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:37 AM
Sam102
Default Plenum

I would look down into the Intake Plenum and check for oil leaking into the plenum. The 360's are super bad for Plenum Gasket failure. Most all them need a repair. And they are things out there to help with this problem. As for the idling problem check your IAC sensor. If you scan your codes it might show P0505 code witch is a Malfunction in your Idle Control System

Old 03-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Slightlycrazy

I already did the plenum repair with the 1/4” plate which made it run better. A few days later it started smoking (blue smoke) through both pipes. It still performs better than before the plenum upgrade. I get codes 300,301, 308 that comes on after driving a bit. It idles a little off but it won’t stall or threaten to. When I pulled a vacuum line to troubleshoot the oil smoke the rpm jumps so wouldn’t think there’s a bad vacuum leak.

my biggest concern is the blue smoke.
secondarily I’d like to help the idle
i also like to figure out why I get random misfires unless it’s related to the oil burning.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:16 PM
Sam102

Hello Friend look at my post here
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3433582

All them codes you getting are misfiring codes. Check your wires/plugs and cap and button. This is the true right way to wire it. I know I just did the same thing

Last edited by Sam102; 03-29-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:35 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If the plenum left a lot of oil through the engine, your Cat maybe plugged. Completely remove the front O2 sensor and take it for a drive. There will be some noise from the open hole and it will set a code, but if it runs better, your Cat is plugged.

Our Dodges don't like cheap sensors, it's best to use Mopar sensors. I personally have had good luck with Standard Motor Products from Rock Auto also. Do not let anyone convince you BWD is the same as SMP. BWD is cheap junk made by SMP The cheap PCV valves flow too much air causing an undetectable vacuum leak. Make sure it's a Mopar PCV valve. NTK O2 sensors and NGK copper plugs work good in our trucks. Replace or clean the IAC, making sure you clean the passages in the throttle body. Some guys remove the throttle body to clean it. The vacuum lines like to break at the firewall on the passenger side or between there and the manifold. Your timing chain is probably worn also. That will affect spark and injector timing.

Start with checking the Cat, IAC, PCV first.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Slightlycrazy

I thought about th o2 sensors but figured as long as I’m blowing oil i may damage them. He cat is gone though and an exhaust shop either built or installed a aftermarket system without one. I ordered an IAC just because I hear so many mention their failure. I did unplug the PCV and close hole w/ finger to see if smoke went away, do dice. It doesn’t smoke initially on start up making me doubt valve seals.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If you haven't already, give it a good seafoam treatment. (go someplace where there aren't a lot of folks around, tends to be a tad smoky. )

Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 AM
wrnchbndr
Professional

Old school. Oil smoke on acceleration = rings. Oil smoke on deceleration = valve guides. Check that your PCV hose, valve, and the connection points are not clogged.

Quick Reply: Common 5.9 motor (gas “ issues