2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeaking noise???

Old 07-09-2006, 10:25 PM
2001OffroadRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking noise???

I just bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Off Road, I just noticed that it is making a squeaking noise from the front end while moving only when I'm turning right, even slightly... but not when turning left, any idea what this could be?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2006, 10:36 PM
whiteram00
Captain
Default RE: Squeaking noise???

sound like a bushing maybe,i have the same prob but mine is coming from the back,only squeaking when i hit a hole under 30mph,any suggestion

Old 07-10-2006, 12:18 AM
2001OffroadRam
Rookie

Yea I was kinda suspecting bushing, I looked at the front and the bushings look kinda worn and cracked, I wonder if I could lubricate them somehow or if It would be best just to replace them?

Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: whiteram00
sound like a bushing maybe,i have the same prob but mine is coming from the back,only squeaking when i hit a hole under 30mph,any suggestion
Sounds like a leaf spring squeak to me. It's definitely worth checking out. There's a TSB out for it here: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/02-04-00.htm

As far as the thread goes, if it's only when turning in a certain direction, it could be a wheel bearing or a U-joint. I currently have a Silverado in my garage that squeaked when turning left but not right. The passenger side wheel bearing was worn BADLY. [:'(]

Old 07-10-2006, 12:52 AM
2001OffroadRam
Rookie

How do you go about checking a wheel bearing? Is it hard to replace one?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
theshocker
Veteran

I have a 2001 off-road that makes a noise when turning right as well. Is it almost like a rubbing/skeaking sound? I can feel it in the steering as well. I have noticed that it does it worse in the morning, after the afternoon heat it seems not to do it as bad. I think to check for a bad wheel bearing you jack the tire off the ground, push the top or bottom of the tire and see if there is any play there. If the hub moves you have problems. There is a site called pavementsucks.com that has directions on how to trouble shoot and fix alot of problems. Best of luck to you. Let me know if you come up with anything. One more thing , do you have tire cupping problems? My tires are cupping a little and I found out that can be due to loose suspension parts ie(bad bearings) or old shocks. I have the original shocks on my truck so I am going to go the shock route and hope that fixes the problem.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:40 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

omg this has been buggin me for a while, so i have just pulled out my hair and lived with it thus far, but going straight, slow and windows down i can hear what seams to be crickets (the way it sounds) coming from front end im thinking since its constant maybe something attached and moving circular w/ the tire, it sounds annoying and i can stop the noise by turning hard or swaying side to side making it go away a little bit but its there and annoying.. the entire frontend was redone at the dealer cause they sold it to me unsafe and many parts were needing replaced and they did it to make vehicle safe, so i cant imagine anything up there being bad only <10,000 miles on it...

Old 07-11-2006, 04:48 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

I would say Ujoints,or Wheel bearings.Just becuase it was replaced recently doesnt mean it didnt wear prematurely.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Tempsho
Professional

ORIGINAL: Ram_Sport

omg this has been buggin me for a while, so i have just pulled out my hair and lived with it thus far, but going straight, slow and windows down i can hear what seams to be crickets (the way it sounds)
That's EXACTLY the sound my Ram just started making!!! You only hear it when your going straight (sometimes at a slight turn) and going slowly (like less than highway speeds) I dont hear it when I hit dips in the road, but I do when I hit cracks or sudden quick jolts. And it does sound like crickets!!! It is driving me absolutely bananas!!

Anybody else have this problem?

I haven’t had a front end inspection for a while, so maybe something is wearing out? I cant tell where its coming from, but it does sound like the front – middle of the truck. [:@]

Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 AM
wildwolf59
Professional

yeah mine is making the same noise and i couldnt figure it out so i let it go for a while and now it is bad enuff i have pinpointed it to the ball joints.....you cant grease them so you have to just replace them....if that is wrong with your guys trucks ......but i can lay under there and have someone turn the wheel a little and FEEL the squeak now!!!!! so i guess i will just replace them anyway!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking noise???