2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best tranny oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:14 PM
greenwood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best tranny oil?

truck has 207k on original manual nv3500 tranny. shifts fine. what kinda gear oil should i put in her? what kinda transfer case oil and diff oil?

thanks guys

Kyle

Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 PM
mojo
Professional
Default RE: best tranny oil?

I would check with the dealer. Some used Dextron III others used 80-90w and others used some funky $14.00 a bottle crap that the dealer sells. If it was Dextron III I would use Mercon V it's the synthetic version of it and would last just about for ever. Same goes for the 80-90w I would use the synthetic version, but check with the dealer if it is that funky shtuff it is already synthetic.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:20 PM
operdot

ORIGINAL: mojo
I would use Mercon V it's the synthetic version of it and would last just about for ever. Same goes for the 80-90w I would use the synthetic version, but check with the dealer if it is that funky shtuff it is already synthetic.

Just because u are using synthetic doesnt mean that it will last forever. Even the all mighty synthetic fluid does not filter debri. Transmission clutch packs/drums constantly and i mean CONSTANTLY give off particles that contaminate atf. The atf filter is there but most can only filter 250 - 450 mircons, the particles from clutch packs are as small at 30 microns. This contaminated atf then gets into the valvebody, oil pump, and the torque converter. Even worse once atf gets past 40k its gets so contaminated that the temps inside the torque converter increase, which fuels the whole contamination proccess beauce the tranny is running hotter. SO the point is its always better to have fresh regular atf then old synthetic atf. You should ALWAYS change your tranny filter/oil and diff gear oil every 25k. Sure if you can afford 15$ X 9 quarts + synthetic diff fluid every 25k then go for it. But its really the intervals that matter more not what kind of oil.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:24 PM
greenwood

i dont want to throw synth in bc i dont want it to leak when the truck is sitting (old seals on tranny synth stays pretty thin etc).

80w90? any other opinions

thanks guys

Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

I am going to put Royal Purple oil in mine. They leak becuase the They remove built up gunk which could be clogging a hole. I am also going to replace the filter and Gasket seal. To say the least I dont trust the original owner of this truck. Just my thoughts

BNB

Old 07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
greenwood

manual tranny has a filter?

Old 07-18-2006, 02:42 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: greenwood

truck has 207k on original manual nv3500 tranny. shifts fine. what kinda gear oil should i put in her? what kinda transfer case oil and diff oil?

thanks guys

Kyle
In the manual for my 1996 Dakota it says, "Required lubricant for the NV3500 is Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant, P/N 4761526. This is the only lubricant to be used in NV3500 transmissions. No other lubricants are acceptable, or recommended." (Yea, "only" was bold in the book as well.)
2004 Dodge Rams were the last Ram's to use the NV3500, and the service manual for that year lists "Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant" as well. It does not list a particular type (such as 75W85 like it does for the NV4500 in 2004).

Transfer Case: ATF+4.
Axles: It's all over the wall (depending on year, axle size, etc.) Can't go wrong with Synthetic 75W-90 or Synthetic 75W-140. If it's a limited slip, make sure you get the friciton modifier (a bottle of it is like $7 at the dealer).

Manual tranny with a filter? Nope.

Quick Reply: best tranny oil?