2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a/c compressor advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:18 PM
hippie49445
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c compressor advice

Last wednesday I recharged the a/c. Worked great until Saturday. I started the truck up and there is a grinding noise coming from the compressor. Any advice on the replacement of this would help? Do i have to change the whole compressor or can I get a the bearings inside? The trauck is a 98 with a 5.9 in it.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:33 PM
hippie49445
Professional
Default RE: a/c compressor advice

another question - Bumper2Bumper carriers 2 belts for a 5.9 minus air, a 88inch and 108inch. The 88 is to small and the 108 is to large. Anyone have an idea of a size if I were to bypass the compressor for the time being.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:45 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

Cant help you on the belt length...

But very few people rebuild compressors these days - same thing with alt., starters, etc.
Everybody would rather just throw parts at it.
We still do starters and alternators, but we wouldn't touch a compressor.

Even if it is just your clutch squealing, I would recomend replacing the clutch and compressor.
We used to replace clutches alone, and had to many come back 3 weeks later needing another clutch and compressor - so just bite the bullet the first time around and save yourself a headache.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
livinginh
Veteran

Just get the next size up belt from the 88, I had the same problem with mine.Autozone part number is 900K7, meaning 90 inch with 7 ribs. Ok, being no one gave you a complete awnser, yes you can just change the clutch, not just the bearing, it is one whole assembly. Easy to change if you have the proper tools. The good, dont have to recharge your air, bad, is you whole compressor may go out in the next week or may last 3 more years, never know. Problem is, finding a new clutch assembly, most places dont sell them anymore. Check around on ebay for a good remanded compressor with a warranty. Or can by from a parts store, roughly $200+. Fits from 1996 to 2001 3.9V6, 5.2 and 5.9, Full size Rams and Dakotas, 7 rib belt. 8 rib is for desiels.

Hope this helps, good luck

Old 08-07-2006, 09:56 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

When my compressor went, it made a grinding noise and had made a squealing noise for a time prior to that. The grinding noise ended up being the metering valve had orroded thru, broke into several small pieces, and got jammed in the compressor valves. The squealing noise was from the small leaks over time. The compressor had run out of PAG oil. Like the previous poster said, it's easier to replace the whole unit. Only other problem is that in order for warranty, usually the accumulator has to be new. In my case, I replace the ENITRE system. Comp, evap, cond, accum, and all lines. Sucks not havin cold air. Good luck.

Quick Reply: a/c compressor advice