2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Fubba
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive problem

Last night at a buddy's house, I was turning around in some soupy mud. Didn't see the mud until I hit it. Wasn't too bad as my friend has a Camry and was driving right through it to park. Well, once I get turned around, the truck just started spinning the back two wheels throwing mud everywhere. So I put it in neutral, drop in 4 low, put it in drive, hear and feel the "clunk" of it kicking it, hit the gas, and the back two tires spin. I finally played with it enough and had to rev it up HIGH to get the front wheels to start pulling a LITTLE bit. I BARELY got out of something my friend parks his front wheel drive car in. What is causing all the power to go to the rear wheels and barely getting any to the front wheels? This is the first time I've really had to use 4x4 to get out of something and it almost let me down.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: 4 wheel drive problem

Why were you putting it in 4L just to drive through some mud? Sometimes tcases don't like to go into 4L so my money is that the clunk you heard/felt was the tcase throwing itself out of gear. Linkage might be messed up, or maybe somehow something is wrong with you CAD on your axle.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:40 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Agreed ^

Transfer cases also don't like being revved very high [&:]

When you felt the clunk, did the 4wd light come on? Are you sure it was all the way in 4WD? Did you let it slip into 4HI first before going to 4LO, per the proper procedure for putting a truck in 4WD?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

Generally the best way to put in 4 low is ur supposed to shut it off but it will work engine running in nuetral violently shove it into 4low to make sure u dont put it in nuetral on the t-case first, a nice firm wack into 4low and then drive, and if it doesnt feel like it is in, toss it into reverse backup a lil then put into drive to hopefully set it into the low range gear..

Old 09-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Fubba
Professional

I did just put it directly in 4lo. However, I hit the gas a little and when it didn't pull, I slipped it into 4hi. That's when I revved it a good bit. It finally started pulling out slightly. I've never seen the 4x4 light come on even when I've used it before. I recently regeared, so I was just asking what could be the problem. There was a clunk once I put it in drive but it happened with a shove forward, like it was in four wheel drive and there was a little extra pulling power. There wasn't just a clunk. I'll go out somewhere and give it another try tomorrow.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Tani1500
Champion

im gunna say your cad wasnt engage. if it wasnt all the way in 4L you would be in netrual and not going anywhere.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:02 AM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional

You said when you put it in 4wd the back tires were puling more than the front. When you had your gears changed you did have the front changed to right.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: MAGICDSSMAN

You said when you put it in 4wd the back tires were puling more than the front. When you had your gears changed you did have the front changed to right.

if that was the case his transfer case would have exploded.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Fubba
Professional

I put it in 4h tonight and hit the gas on some loose ground and broke the rear tires loose. Apparently, it's just not engaging. What can I check?

Old 09-23-2006, 01:19 AM
Tani1500
Champion

put the truck in 4wheel drive with it running and go under it. on the cad you will see a diafram on the right side of it with 2 vacumme lines running into it. one red, one black, pull off the one closest to the Cad housing, you should hear a hiss out of it. if you dont its not engaged.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive problem