2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Watt Inverter Install Tips Needed

Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM
BeachCrawler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Watt Inverter Install Tips Needed

I have 2000 watt inverter that I want to install in my 1999 5.2 QC. I want to run home appliances when I am at the beach. I'm leaning toward a second battery on the passenger side and an isolator but I"d like to know what other people have done with large inverters. I want as many install tips as I can get before I start this mod since getting wrong can lead to fires etc. Does anyone have a picture of the second battery tray in a Ram? Where is the best place for the inverter. I may be away from my computer for a few days so I'll reply when I return. Thanks in advance for the tips and suggestions.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2000 Watt Inverter Install Tips Needed

Definitely gonna want to put a switch in your cab to turn power on and off to the inverter and run a relay between the power source and the inverter that i soperated by the switch I suggested before. It will help avoid wire burnouts. Also a fuse before the relay.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

That is a good suggestion about the switch. The 12volt guy has a 200amp isolator kit that look interesting. This monster can draw 185 amps so I'm not sure about a relay that big. But if you know of one please let me know. I'd want a relay with terminals so it and the fuse can be real close to the battery.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Tani1500
Champion

you can get a sec battery tray and everything you need either from a dealer or a junk yard. ( off a CTD ram) let me know how it al goes. i want to get a big inverter to power a little miller ark/tig welder for the truck. you can also get a relay from Warn winch. there relays are really heavy duty, not sure what the numbers are but im sure its plenty capable of handling that kind of load

Old 10-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Mike Roma
Professional

I don't know why you would want a "switch". All the inverters I've seen and used have a switch on them. Just leave it off when not in use. Use only the short battery cables that come with it. I don't see why you need a fuse, either. There should be fuses, or breakers in the inverter. Mine was very simple. Mount the unit, attach the battery cables. Done.
If yours recommends fuses, or switches, follow the directions, though.

If you add a second battery, you definitely want to use an isolator.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:09 AM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Mike Roma

I don't know why you would want a "switch". All the inverters I've seen and used have a switch on them. Just leave it off when not in use. Use only the short battery cables that come with it. I don't see why you need a fuse, either. There should be fuses, or breakers in the inverter. Mine was very simple. Mount the unit, attach the battery cables. Done.
If yours recommends fuses, or switches, follow the directions, though.

If you add a second battery, you definitely want to use an isolator.
How many watts is yours and where did you mount it?

Old 10-05-2006, 01:28 AM
Mike Roma
Professional

Mine is a 1500 watt unit. I had it mounted in the back of my van. I haven't mounted it permanently in my Ram, yet.
I plan to install the deep cycle battery I have, and an isolator. My batteries will be in the rear of the truck, so I'll mount everything back there. You could just bolt yours to your fenderwell, or something. Some kind of rubber grommets, or pad would help isolate it from vibration, though that may not be necessary.

If you are going to install a second battery mainly for running your appliances, I suggest a deep cycle battery, especially if you will use it with the engine off.

Oh, yeah... Home appliances!? Are you going to run a washer and dryer at the beach?

Old 10-09-2006, 12:27 AM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Mike Roma

Mine is a 1500 watt unit. I had it mounted in the back of my van. I haven't mounted it permanently in my Ram, yet.
I plan to install the deep cycle battery I have, and an isolator. My batteries will be in the rear of the truck, so I'll mount everything back there. You could just bolt yours to your fenderwell, or something. Some kind of rubber grommets, or pad would help isolate it from vibration, though that may not be necessary.

If you are going to install a second battery mainly for running your appliances, I suggest a deep cycle battery, especially if you will use it with the engine off.

Oh, yeah... Home appliances!? Are you going to run a washer and dryer at the beach?

LOL. She wants to run a George Forman grill to cook fresh fish that we catch. I was hoping to keep everything up front. I'm also thinking that a 1500 watt unit would be better because that 2000 watt unit really draws some power. Which deep cycle do you have? A few years ago I a 225 reserve amp unit from Sams Club. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:59 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Hey, do me a favor will ya, please? Let me know how long a free standing, deep cycle battery can really last powering an inverter. I am having a hard time believing that you could get any length of time needed to cook, or power something.

I'm not being a wiseguy, just curious. I have a 750 watter I use in the truck. But the truck is always running while it in use.

Ok guys, take care.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 AM
DODGERAM808
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think your best bet would be to pick up either a yellow top optima or the bule top marine batteries. mount the battery anywhere you want. even in the cab if you have a spot. you can run the inverter off these batteries for hours on end. yellow and blue tops can be completely drained and always be able to take a charge again without ever wearing out. depending on how big of inverter you decide to go with you might have to upgrade to a HO alternator if you plan on running a lot of current. good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Watt Inverter Install Tips Needed