2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I swap it???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:55 PM
JohnT99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I swap it???

I just bought an 02 Dually, and while it's a great truck, it doesn't have all the options my 99 has. So I'm wondering about swapping out a few things and thought I'd run it by you guys to see what might be possible & not too much of a PITA. Here's what I'm considering:

Leather Interior, including power driver seat. 02 has cloth iner with no power seat. Both in great shape.
Factory stereo, including steering wheel audio controls. 02 has factory cd player but no swac.
Lighted visor mirrors.

My main concern is getting power to these items- I don't necessarily want to run wiring, I was hoping maybe the factory harness might just include the connectors for these tucked away out of sight somewhere. Remember the 02 3500 is still second gen, so the interior is almost identical.

Opinions?

Old 10-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Default RE: Should I swap it???

I was running stereo wire to a subwoofer and an antenna to my cb a while back and did fin a harness with empty plugs right near the drivers seat under the carpeting. check there for your and see if they are compatable. as for the lighted visors and such, you may be on your own there, not sure.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I'd do it, probably take you a weekend to do it right and take your time. The seats just bolt in, front and back. I kinda doubt the wiring is there, but it wouldn't be hard at all to run some wires to it. You could even cut the wires from the 99 and put them in the 02 and just splice them into another one. The only thing I wouldn't touch is the Steering wheel. With the air bag in there it can get kinda hairy, but if you get the FSM from the top of the forum I'm sure it has how to remove the wheel. That would probably be harder to wire up too. The mirrors would be really easy, the a pillar covers pop right off with a few screws, and its really easy to run wire through that headliner. Let us know and take some pics, good luck!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:50 PM
mojo
Professional

Do It I would. If the wires are not there the pugs for them will be just follow them back to were they start unplug from the donor and plug back in to the new one. Your biggest trick will be the steering wheel you'll have to pull that compleatly and swap it. I'm not totally sure but I think the Airbag and the radio controls are intagrated in with the turn signal switch and you'll have to swap that to get all the conections.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 AM
JohnT99

Man that figures. I really wanted the steering wheel controls more than the rest of the stuff. Pure laziness I guess, but it's so nice to not have to take your hand off the wheel to play with the stereo. I wonder if the stock radio in the 02 will swap out with the 99's and still work with the 99's swac. The 99 has cd and cassette. Also, will the stock towing mirrors that fold up bolt up? Are they powered?

Quick Reply: Should I swap it???