2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge head lights being dim

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 PM
leewatkins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 dodge head lights being dim

i have a 2001 dodge 3500.. the stock head lights were so dim i couldnt see the road let alone 10 feet in front.. so i change them out to after market recon lights, and changed the bulbs to the brightest lights on the market for this truck.. but still on dim i cant literally see the light leaving the front of the truck while driving. i have to have the bright lights on.. what can i do to make the dim lights acually be seen by me without leaving my bright lights on? i hope someone else has had this problem before.. im out of ideas... Leewatkins

Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are the lenses cloudy? either clean with kit or rubbing compound or replace lights.

consider a new headlight harness from LMC that adds a relay and power wire to the battery. i haven't used it but some have with mixed opinions.

this won't help you on dim, but i use a brite-box which turns on both low and high when on brites. excellent product !!!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

maybe you could put the low beams on replays. from what i see it looks like the high beams are on relays but for some reason the low beams are not. i guess dodge cheaped out.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM
leewatkins

well i think yall are on to something.. i have brand new head lights on now.. i thought it would have been that the lenses were yellowed but i just changed the whole thing out. ill go to lmc and check te harness stuff out.. i hope i can fix it cause its not fun with these lights.. cant even see the deer..

Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

it is amazing what a faction of a volt will do to increasing the amount of light being put out by a light. i think most new vehicles have stuff like lights installed on relays for that reason. i know i am planning on putting all my headlights on relays eventually. just got to stop being so lazy.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's the LMC link.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=61

by the way, i tried the silverstar ultra bulbs and wasn't impressed.
after one burned out i replaced them with a Phillips brand which i thought was brighter and they were cheaper.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM
leewatkins

hey thank yall. ill sure try the new way of wiring up. and the different bulbs.. yall giving me some different ways of thinking about those lights.. i knew they have to be brighter than that.. heck most cars on thier dims are brighter than me on brights

Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats not a bad price from LMC. There is a really nice write up in the DIY section about making them yourself.
I called LMC one time to ask them about the wire size but they couldnt tell me. When I get motorvated I am going to rewire mine. I went to a junkyard and got a fuse panel from a Jeep full of relays and fuses for my platform.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

so were you going to use the PDC under the hood or where you just going to use the relays? only reason i ask is i think it would get a bit busy under the hood if you where to install another PDC. now if you where to have older trucks like mine then it would be a great upgrade.

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge head lights being dim