2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

band adjustment-- Update 10-10!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:39 AM
robert97dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default band adjustment-- Update 10-10!!

I just bought a tranny from a guy on ebay and it showed up today. The guy sent me a email a couple days ago and said that the rear band is not adjusted. Does anyone know what I need to do to get it adjusted? It was rebuilt with a TCI rebuild kit, shift kit, steel cluthes, kevlar bands, and 5 planetary gear set. I am going to pick the tranny up in the morning at my buddies shop. I may just swing by a tranny shop and see what they say.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: band adjustment

Here are the instructions. You might as well adjust the front band too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/BAAC95622F5F420E895EF9E9A3AF878C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-05-2006, 10:26 AM
timwag2001
All Star

just did mine the other day, my adjusting screw for the rear band was a square bolt. make sure you have a crows foot attatchment for it in case its the same as mine. I used a 8 point socket to do it and damaged the head of the bolt. (my friends torque wrench didnt click as loud as noticeably as my old one and overtightened the hell out of it. thats how i stripped it. wouldnt of happened had i a crows foot.) I think mine was an 8mm. i'll have to check though

Old 10-05-2006, 12:41 PM
TexasEd

After how many miles on the vehicle should the bands be adjusted? I'm changing my tranny fluid and filter this weekend and think maybe I should adjust my bands while I'm under the truck? My truck is a 2001 with 68,000 miles. It probably needs an adjustment?
After reading the instructions it looks fairly easy to do.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
nmason
Veteran

i had mine adjusted recently when i took it in to get the tranny serviced. do it, it feels great now. much tighter shifts.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasEd

After how many miles on the vehicle should the bands be adjusted? I'm changing my tranny fluid and filter this weekend and think maybe I should adjust my bands while I'm under the truck? My truck is a 2001 with 68,000 miles. It probably needs an adjustment?
After reading the instructions it looks fairly easy to do.
IIRC, the bands should be adjusted every 24,000 miles.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:34 PM
robert97dodge
Professional

I ended up taking the tranny to shop this morning to let them do it. I didnt was to risk messing something up even though it does look really easy. I got there and we started working on it and he tightened the front band and then he couldnt move the lever on top of the piston and he said that wasnt right. So we tore into the tranny. ALso we noticed that the input and output shafts didnt turn. We got in there and I am so glad I brought the tranny to them. There were a few different problems with it but he got it all fixed up for me and everything looks good. At least the guy wasnt lying about putting the stuff in it he said he did. I am in the process of putting it back in the truck right now. It was a bitch by myself working in the dirt to get the tranny lined up but I finally got it. Also having to lift it about 2 feet off the ground doesnt help either.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 PM
quadro
Rookie

Are these the only things that need to be done when you get your "bands adjusted" I am not to familiar with transmissions. It just seems like there would be more. just curious

Old 10-06-2006, 02:10 AM
robert97dodge
Professional

Well I finally got the tranny in and everything else back on. I started up the truck and once the truck relearned how to idle (battery went dead) I put it into gear and nothing. It it like it didnt even go into gear. So I check the fluid with it running and neutral and it was a little low so I put a quart in it. The truck hadnt been running long enough for the fluid to even get hot yet. So I tryed it again and still nothing. I did notice when I put it in reverse that the truck kind of stalls out or something. It is wierd. Anyways if anybody has any ideas let me know. I am gonna go and talk to the tranny shop tommorow and see what they say. I hope like hell I dont have to pull that damn tranny back out and it is just something minor. Also when you go from park to any other gear and then back to park you can hear something grinding. I do know for sure that I put the torque converter on all the way and it is brand new.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:05 AM
mntnceguy
Rookie

Yeah, ummmm, did ya prime the torque converter????? In other words, did you fill the torque converter with fluid BEFORE you installed it? If not, your probably gonna have to pull the trans and converter to do that. And if you didn't, check the trans at the front where the converter connects and pray to God that you didn't fry the pump! The converter needs to be filled with fluid before installing by pouring fluid into it, otherwise, BIG problems usually occur. Jesse James found that out the hard way on Monster Garage when he went to Iraq for a build with the troops, they fried their pump and had no way to fix it in BFE. Good luck man, got my fingers crossed for ya![sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Quick Reply: band adjustment-- Update 10-10!!