Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

instructions on how to replace vehicle speed sensor?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 AM

Default RE: instructions on how to replace vehicle speed sensor?

Well, I just found out another thing with the truck. Since I just got it yesterday I noticed Overdrive isnt working. Going roughly 70 miles an hour (gauged on the way to work this morning with flow of traffic on I-81, they always go 70ish) I was taching about 2700 rpms in third gear. Not too bad if ya ask me. I do not know if the tranny was replaced with a 3 speed, which would mean the sensor in the tranny would not be there. I do not know what gears might be installed, but I know it has crazy low end grunt & torque.

If the tranny was replaced what could it be?
If not replaced, what gears do I probably have?

Should I try to get the tranny looked at before I try to fix the speedo, because they might be related, correct? or should I replace the sensors and see what happens. I mean, I would hate for there to be chucks of something flying around the tranny and obliterate the new sensor. It dosnt sound like there is a tranny problem, sounds great actually. I guess it could be an electrical problem.

Anyone have any input about this.

Thank
Fry
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
NX 100 shot, MSD WS & wires, Lid, K&N, Spec3, 4:10, ram-air, bellows, LM, LSS, PowerSlots, Hawk Pads, Earls lines
Apperance
SS wing, black painted headlights, berger panel, ZR1 wheels
Old 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Default RE: instructions on how to replace vehicle speed sensor?

Hell yeah! UPDATE

Last night I took my truck to my buddies house to replace the ball joints because I was told that they were bad...one of the reasons I failed inspection. Well after we got the truck in the air, we figured out the damn joints didn't need replaced after all. No noise when I messed with the tires, she is solid. Then I went to tear into the VSS sensor and gears. I pulled the sensor off, which looked 100% brand new...pulled the speedo gear pinion. These parts all seemed find. Then we took a drill and spun the gear in the transfer case and watched the speedo go up and down. We weren't too sure about why it wasn't working and I was just going to replace the sensor, but on my way home everything started working. The speedo works now, odo and tripodometers work, and overdrive works now too. I am so happy everything is working now.

Now I just have to save up some money and get my 3" Fabtech lift.

Thanks for the help guys, it was much appreciated.

Fry
NX 100 shot, MSD WS & wires, Lid, K&N, Spec3, 4:10, ram-air, bellows, LM, LSS, PowerSlots, Hawk Pads, Earls lines
Apperance
SS wing, black painted headlights, berger panel, ZR1 wheels
Old 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM