2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

popping sound from exhaust = leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:57 AM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping sound from exhaust = leak?

i've been told by sea foam in an email that the noise i started hearing after using mopar combustion chamber cleaner, the popping, cool, mean street, exhaust sound as the RPM's go back down, is in fact an exhaust leak somewhere in the system. now how could this be true? i've only started to hear it after using the cleaner. although i did notice a little puddle underneath one of my pipes in the exhaust system after using the cleaner, i'm sure that was like that the whole time.

anyone know about this?

Old 12-04-2006, 10:22 AM
mntnceguy
Rookie
Default RE: popping sound from exhaust = leak?

The puddle is most likely just condensation, and is normal. The noise though, might not be. Does it happen all the time, just louder sometimes, or is it only on decell? All the time is definatly a leak, not all the time is detonation in the exhaust caused by unburnt fuel in the system. Kinda need more info to tell ya the exact cause. Like where the noise is coming from (under truck or under hood), and when exactly it happens.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

its a normal noise. All cool cars do it

actually the noise is the result of unburnt gasoline going through the combustion chamber. That means the vehicle runs rich, not abnormally rich, but rich none the less. From the factory most vehicles will run slightly richer than optimum for detonation safety issues. If you dont like the sound, you can get your pcm retuned so that it runs at optimum a:f. which is usuially the infamous 93 octane setting.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:40 PM
ripto
Captain

ORIGINAL: mntnceguy

The puddle is most likely just condensation, and is normal. The noise though, might not be. Does it happen all the time, just louder sometimes, or is it only on decell? All the time is definatly a leak, not all the time is detonation in the exhaust caused by unburnt fuel in the system. Kinda need more info to tell ya the exact cause. Like where the noise is coming from (under truck or under hood), and when exactly it happens.
Only happens on decelleration and from the back of the truck, where the exhaust exits. Sounds just like any old mustang you hear with some guy who thinks hes cool and revs it up at a light, that noise the exhaust makes when the RPM's are going back down.

And I do like it, in fact when i'm just rolling along in a parking lot i'll switch it over to neutral and give it a rev or two :P

Old 12-04-2006, 08:35 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: ripto

ORIGINAL: mntnceguy

Only happens on decelleration and from the back of the truck, where the exhaust exits. Sounds just like any old mustang you hear with some guy who thinks hes cool and revs it up at a light, that noise the exhaust makes when the RPM's are going back down.

And I do like it, in fact when i'm just rolling along in a parking lot i'll switch it over to neutral and give it a rev or two :P
yea, its normal; nothing problematic.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:38 PM
nmason
Veteran

ive got the same. never worried about it. and it has only really been noticeable for me since adding a k&n drop in filter.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

i get mine to do that too, it sounds really cool, actually you want it to crackle pop to sound the best, vroom crackle pop as it comes down its the sweetness!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:41 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

i have a 5 speed and do it on purpose lol.. its very loud and sounds good actually with a 40 series.. i'd get on it up till about 4 grand and let up on the gas and let the engine slow itself down. gets plenty of attention

Old 12-04-2006, 08:50 PM
timwag2001
All Star

it sounds even better if you put it in second gear and drive it past the point when you should shift and then take your foot off the gas.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
mntnceguy
Rookie

My old Ramcharger with cherry bombs and no cat used to do it something awefull!! It was cool as hell, I'd drive up next to somebody that was slowing traffic, and scare the **** out of them with it. Anyway, yeah its just unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting, not really a problem, although sometimes it can cause the cat to fry if it is occuring far enough up in the exhaust. That is kinda rare though. Have fun scaring little children!!![sm=badbadbad.gif]

Quick Reply: popping sound from exhaust = leak?