2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door hinge replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
sephirothq
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door hinge replacement

I had a problem with my door hinges for a while, but at least the door wouldn close. The spring that goes behind the prt to hold the door open broke and fell out. after all this the door would still close fine, it would raise up the slightest bit whne you closed it and you could wiggle the door up and down. but it still worked.

yesterday the metal tab that is supposed to close the door got stuck internally some how and wouldn't let the door close. after i got that cleared it dropped the back of the door's position more. now it won't close unless i pick the door up while it closes at the striker lug.

i was looking on how to replace the hinges and there is a bolt that comes from the inside out.
my question is how to i replace the hinge? top and bottom.
where is the connection for the electric? inside the door or the kicker panel?
any advice in the door hinge department?
could i have sprung the door itself?
let me know

i have a 95 single cab
thanks

Old 12-07-2006, 11:39 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Default RE: door hinge replacement

There are bolts on each hinge that come from the inside. It's difficult to get any kind of socket or wrench on the outer, upper bolts. You'll want to make sure the door is supported properly underneath before you loosen any bolts. I tried doing mine by myself. What a mistake...lol.

I took the truck down to our local Macco. They charged me $85.00 to install all 4 hinges an align the doors. They did a nice job.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM
sephirothq
Professional
Default RE: door hinge replacement

that might be a good idea.
I got a set of hinges in good shape off of a junkyard truck i had a very hard time getting the passenger side off because of the ac in the way.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
joeh55

Have the same situation with me.
Can anyone answer: if I need to pull the emergency brake off of inside of cab to install upper driver door hinge thanks. 01 Ram 1500.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All the answers to your question, can be found in the FAQ/DIY section.

Not only, is the factory service manual in there(free download). But there is also 2 DIY's as far as hinges go.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-door-fix.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-for-30-a.html

Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
romadramowner
Professional

Just my opinion, since you're using some hinges off of an older truck (junk yard you said), I would consider putting new hinge pins in while you're at it. I bought the new pin kit from LMC Truck and then used a sawsall to cut the old hinge pins off. That made life quite easy for the rest of it. I just had to use a punch to get the old hinge pin guides out and then put the new ones in.

Good luck with whichever route you go.

Part #56-5451:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=11

Old 10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by romadramowner
Just my opinion, since you're using some hinges off of an older truck (junk yard you said), I would consider putting new hinge pins in while you're at it. I bought the new pin kit from LMC Truck and then used a sawsall to cut the old hinge pins off. That made life quite easy for the rest of it. I just had to use a punch to get the old hinge pin guides out and then put the new ones in.

Good luck with whichever route you go.

Part #56-5451:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=11

You can get the hinge pins in any parts store that has a "HELP" section.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM
romadramowner
Professional

zman,

Fair enough. I'm sort of used to the locals not having anything in stock so I just ordered mine when I ordered my body panels.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by romadramowner
zman,

Fair enough. I'm sort of used to the locals not having anything in stock so I just ordered mine when I ordered my body panels.
I hear ya! and That sucks, try ordering stuff from Rock Auto ahead of time when and if you can.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Jeff Wittenborn
Default Hinge fix....

I bought a hinge repair kit... Cut out the top post with a grinder. Once cut out pull on the lateral bracket and the bracket and spring will come out. I didn't like the cheap brass grommet that came with the repair kit so I went to ace hardware and bought a 3/8 X 1/2 X 1 Brass grommet. Drilled out the lateral bracket to 1/2. Insert grommet. Take large pliers and squeeze the spring together and use wire ties to hold it tight. Insert spring , lateral bracket, and new pin. Cut wire ties with a sharp razor and pull out ... Done ... Hope this helps anyone.

Drill out hole to 1/2 inch

Squeeze tight insert wire ties

Finished ... Works great

Quick Reply: door hinge replacement