2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque converter clutch solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 05:50 AM
mean318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter clutch solenoid

I have a 95 1500 sport and the check engine light came on today, its throwing a Torque converter clutch solenoid code sounds bad since i just put this tranny in it anyway anybody know how bad this will be to change.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:06 AM
jtridgerunner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Torque converter clutch solenoid

Pretty simple to change. Drop trans. oil pan. Two Trox bolts hold on the sensor. Those are the hardest ones because thier is little room but can be taken out and replaced with patince.Follow the wires to two plugs nearby the sensor body. Three plugs total but onegoes to the outside on top the govenorbody.The govenor body must be dropped. Its on the drivers side inside the pan. Two trox bolts hold it on.Becareful because a spring will come out.Unplug the plug on top of the govenor. Its on the outside of the trans on the drivers side on top. Then reinstall everything.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:52 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mean318

I have a 95 1500 sport and the check engine light came on today, its throwing a Torque converter clutch solenoid code sounds bad since i just put this tranny in it anyway anybody know how bad this will be to change.

Whats the code? 37?

If so, that a code for the tc solenoid circuit, OR the tranny temp sensor voltage too low or too high. If you're new tranny does not have the temp wire sensors hooked up, the tc will not lock at all, I am pretty sure. I would replace the tranny temp sensor first, and double check the grounds. Don't tear anything apart until you've checked the easy to get at, external stuff first.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:12 PM
mean318

Im just not having good luck with this truck, First i couldnt get the speedometer to work and it wont go in to overdrive, so i changed the vehicle speed sensor and that didnt change nothing and now it acts like its only running on the right bank unless you really baby it. It throws codes 12, 45, 37, 37, 15, 21,32.

I HATE THIS TRUCK.
But its all i've got right now

Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Give me some time. If that's truly the number of codes you are getting, almost sounds like a complete harness is not fully connected, or the tranny may not be properly grounded. You may have a bad ground somewhere else as well. All those sensors need a good, strong ground in order to function. Tranny not going into over drive could be either bad tranny temp sensor, OR, it's ground.

Double check all that stuff again while I research. Check all your fuses and relays too.

Catch ya later.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 PM
baltimore
Rookie

my code was P1740 which was alot of items. one was a misfire in the plugs or wires, as well as the tcc but turns out for my 2001 ther is an undersized plate in the trans coveing the valve body

Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
baltimore
Rookie

try this link http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/21-11-00.htm

Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

my code was P1740 which was alot of items. one was a misfire in the plugs or wires, as well as the tcc but turns out for my 2001 ther is an undersized plate in the trans coveing the valve body

The truck is a 1995. I don't think that manual or codes apply here.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 AM
baltimore
Rookie

well every lil bit helps

Old 01-05-2007, 12:19 AM
mean318

I dont know but the speedometer does not work and the over drive and i forgot to mention when i push the overdrive button it does nothing (wont light up). somehow these are all linked together as far as the rough running i think the 12 code is o2 sensor but i cant believe it would run that bad. what i really need is a detailed wireing harness diagram and a detailed vacuum line diagram( one that a dumb *** like me can read) so i can go over everything, and i should also let you know that i got this truck with a bad tranny. but what had happened is a pin fell out of the front diff.(the one that holds the spider gears in) and the kid tried to go when nothing would give it cracked the overdrive housing. So i pulled the motor and tranny put all new gaskets in the motor and put a rebuilt tranny on it put the truck all back together and drove it (and speedometer or overdrive didnt work) Then i fought with the motor smoking feriously so i pulled the intake and changed the plenum gasket (AGAIN) in hopes that it was in wrong or somthing the end result was the same SMOKE NICE OILLY SMELLING BLUE SMOKE so i pulled the valve covers and put valve seals in it and you got it SMOKE. so i demised it was bad rings. pulled the motor and put a junk yard job in it and it ran real good for a week or so and here i am pulling my hair out again.I know i just need to work the bugs out butas you know its not as easy as changing a set of points and a coil like the old days.

Quick Reply: Torque converter clutch solenoid