2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Map sensor causing a rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Fuzzy T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map sensor causing a rough idle

I have had a problem with my 2001 5.9 liter ram. In the cold and snow only does this problem happen. The rest of the time it runs strong.The problem is that once I have driven for about fifteen minunets and stop, the engine idles way down, around 400 rpm, and want's to die.The gas pedal becomes sluggish and has to be pumped to get the truck to go. It feels alot like having water in the gas, or as if the choke is stuck on. The check engine light comes on and reads a P0108 which isthat the map sensor is reading too high voltage, meaning that it is running really rich. It has alos written another code for the O2 sensor, but will write it for a different O2 Sensor at different times.If I let the truck sit over night and drive it the next day in good weather everything runs great. I replaced the MAP sensor, and it hasn't fixed the problem. I haven't replace the O2 sensors, becaue where it changes which O2 sensor the code is being written for each time I don't think that they are the problem. In talking with a mechanic it sounds like a problem with the Map sensor could be causeing a problem with the O2 sensor but not vice-versa. Any Ideas? Like I say its hard to track down because it only happens on cold snowy days. The rest of the time everything is great. It also has brand new plugs, cables, rotor, cap, and air filter. Thanks for any advice on where to start looking.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
timwag2001
All Star
Default RE: Map sensor causing a rough idle

i would get some throttle body cleaner and pull your o2's and spray the hell of them. then i would give the iac on the back of the throttle body a good cleaning. do you have a voltage meter? the throttle position sensor on the drivers side of the throttle body has 3 wires coming out of it. put the positive probe in the middle wire and the negetive on a ground. it should read about .7 - .75 volts. if your tps has bad voltage, we'll give you some tips on modifying it to adjust it or you can buy a new one

Old 01-13-2007, 04:39 AM
JarheadX
All Star
Default RE: Map sensor causing a rough idle

exactly what i was gunna say

Quick Reply: Map sensor causing a rough idle