2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 AM
red98ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: air intake question

YEA I WOULDNT WANT ONE OF THem i would rather have the mr.gasket chrome top one or a mopar one like urs... but the mr.gasket one is much cheaper like 20$ shipped so i think im gona go with that

Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 AM
topsites
Professional

ORIGINAL: red98ram

is this the one u got? i think i can get it for 20 shipped, would it be better then one of them 40$ ebay ones that claim to
be CAI
That's the one!
Sure, if you can get it for $20 with the shipping, go for it!

Fits right over the intake perfect, just gotta bang the bolt back a bit with a hammer.
You'll see, it's that bolt the wing nut goes on.
The only other thing is, you might want to have a drill handy, there is 1-2 holes you have to drill out so you can mount the plastic piece to which the rubber tube coming from the crankcase breather attaches. Otoh, you could also get a high performance breather thing, which I'm thinking of doing (another $20) to reduce air being sucked OUT of the intake.

Best high performance air filter you can get for the money, all the more expensive ones look fancier, but they don't do anything this one doesn't.
Btw, it will take a bit of looking, the first time around when you replace the element, but a regular $3 paper element is what goes in it. I have the part number someplace, anyway you just take the old one in to the store and compare it to some new ones until you find the right one (might ask them for assistance the first time). Yes, a regular $3 air filter.

And yeah, it makes a bit of a raw sucking sound at certain stages of acceleration... I LIKE that sound heheh.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:01 PM
red98ram
Professional

is it safe to be waking bolts with a hammer that are still screwed into the motor? will it crack somthing and what happens if u dont bend the bolt, also i dont understand what i need a drill for.. thanks for the help anyway

Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Glideman88
Professional

I just put the threaded 1/4" rod in a vice and bent it.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM
topsites
Professional

If you're looking at your engine, on the driver's side Valve cover (towards the back) there is a metal thing called a breather cap.
From this breather cap protrudes a rubber hose that then connects to your air intake.
The Mr. Gasket air filter has the supplies you need to adapt the filter so that you can connect the hose, but the holes where the adapter goes have to be drilled out. Although they are 'marked' in the steel, you can not punch them out with a hammer because the marking is just that.

Here is a picture of before, the black rubber hose goes up and connects to the steel base of the filter, to a plastic adapter that has to be bolted on. All the nuts and bolts and all that is in the box, but the 3 holes have to be drilled out.
3 holes: 1 each for the 2 bolts, and 1 for the air to get through.
This is a picture of how it would look normally (hope you can see the black rubber hose that kinda bends in an S-like sweep):

However, you can bypass the procedure and save yourself 15-20 or 30 minutes of frustration by purchasing a breather cap filter element, such as which I just installed (picture below)... I thought they were like $20 but they're only $10 - $12 or so.
What this does, the breather cap sucks air into the engine, I don't know why it does this, but that's what it does...
By removing the hose element from the equation, the air is no longer being sucked out from inside the air filter, which gives your intake even more air to breathe with.
Before you do this, please note the performance increase is very minor. I wouldn't expect to feel any difference with just this upgrade, but if you're heavily in tune with your truck, you might feel the ~2% increase, but it really is that minor.
I did it mostly as a matter of principle, and for $10-$12 you save yourself the hassle of having to install the hose adapter onto the steel base of the air filter kit.

I'm sorry about the sunlight, it's not the best picture, hope you can make it out.
That little tiny air filter thing is what I'm speaking of, and it attaches to the breather cap's house outlet.
The shiny golden thing would be the breather cap itself, it likely wouldn't hurt to replace the actual cap regardless of how you decide.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 PM
jskepler_03
Rookie

I just did this with my Ram, 14x3 Edelbrock Filter and Mr Gasket Breather, sure feels like it's got more get up and go, and just sounds nasty, especially up around 3000 rpm, just hearin the air get sucked in, plus she seems to run lil bit cooler than the stock set up I had before, best part I have less than $50 in the whole deal.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 AM
BLOWNSS/T
Rookie

Im going to be installing a 1002 in my ram, since im removing my Kenne Bell supercharger and dont have the stocker. I read the long thread on pavementsucks.com.
BTW: Does anyone have pictures of the engine bay of a 98 360 ram? I need pictures of the vaccum hose's.

Quick Reply: air intake question