2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

my theory. chime in

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:41 AM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my theory. chime in

ok so i know transgo makes a shift kit that will make it to where you have to shift it manualy all the time.. my theory is.. wut if somone got that kit and put in a floor shifter.. instead of having a clutch you could basically have a stick shift with no clutch.. sound legit?? i just thought of it after seeing a kit white stage 1 basic, stage 2 hold any gear at any rpm, stage 3 full manual.. feel free to correct me if im wrong but that sounds like it would be sweet. i dont plan on doing it.. just thought it was a great idea.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Drag racers to that trick. For a truck that is a daily driver, I would still want some automatic function...... maybe i'm just lazy.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why have an automatic if you want to shift?

Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 AM
hiusmell
Captain

could someone also explain how a shift kit works? This is the first I've heard of one. I did a search but all I'm finding on here is opinions on different brands not what one is and how it works.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by hiusmell
could someone also explain how a shift kit works? This is the first I've heard of one. I did a search but all I'm finding on here is opinions on different brands not what one is and how it works.
Depending on the kit..... they raise shift points to varying degrees, and firm up the shifts. (the shift itself happens quicker, allowing less slippage between gears, thus generating less heat, and making for a happier trans.) They will also reduce "gear hunting" when you drive at some speed that under normal circumstances, is 'close' to a shift point. (the trans has a hard time deciding what gear it really wants to be in.)

The sonnax sure cure (a flavor of shift kit for our trucks.) does all this, and also smooths TCC operation. Drastically reduces gear hunting, alters the valve body so that you get fluid flow to the torque converter in park, (which our tranny's do NOT do stock, let's ya check fluid in park...) and I think it also improves fluid flow to the O/D unit. A known weak point in the 46RE trans.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain

so the kit i bought isnt as good as the one you just listed??? also i get mine installed tom morning.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  46.2 KB

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Drag racers to that trick. For a truck that is a daily driver, I would still want some automatic function...... maybe i'm just lazy.

ya i know what you mean.. i dont plan on doing it. i just thought of it and wanted to see if its been done.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:28 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Depending on the kit..... they raise shift points to varying degrees, and firm up the shifts. (the shift itself happens quicker, allowing less slippage between gears, thus generating less heat, and making for a happier trans.) They will also reduce "gear hunting" when you drive at some speed that under normal circumstances, is 'close' to a shift point. (the trans has a hard time deciding what gear it really wants to be in.)

The sonnax sure cure (a flavor of shift kit for our trucks.) does all this, and also smooths TCC operation. Drastically reduces gear hunting, alters the valve body so that you get fluid flow to the torque converter in park, (which our tranny's do NOT do stock, let's ya check fluid in park...) and I think it also improves fluid flow to the O/D unit. A known weak point in the 46RE trans.
I have to agree with everything you said but this gives a good discription of what the Sonnax sure cure does for our trucks http://www.sonnax.com/system/announc...C-46-47RHE.pdf.
Its not a shift kit.

Dave

Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
I have to agree with everything you said but this gives a good discription of what the Sonnax sure cure does for our trucks http://www.sonnax.com/system/announc...C-46-47RHE.pdf.
Its not a shift kit.

Dave
It serves a lot of the same purposes.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

It serves a lot of the same purposes.
It doent address the shift overlap issue like a shift kit.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/shift-kits.html.
Taken from the link above:
Shift kits

Steve Knickerbocker wrote that "Smooth shifting transmissions accomplish [smoother shifting] by being in two gears at once when shifting up. It's known as shift overlap. Shift kits reduce or eliminate the shift overlap and speed up actuation of the shift, hence the harder feel to the shift. A shift kit will reduce wear because you won't have the trans trying to be in two gears at once."

It doent address the shift overlap issue like a shift kit.

Dave

Quick Reply: my theory. chime in