2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine missing? chugging? problem - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
caribbean1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine missing? chugging? problem - help!!

Help please...here's my problem:
I have a 1998 1500 ram 4x4 5.9liter. 104,000 miles live in Wisconsin

Two weeks ago I start it up, pull out of my driveway, all is fine. 1 mile or so down the road, I am at a stop. The engine starts "sputtering" RPM's drop off, rpms go up and down kind of slowly. I step on the gas and there is not much power. I let off the gas, RPMs come up, step on the gas it takes right off. So I go buy some fuel injector cleaner and throw it in my tank.
A day or two later - same type of episode. This has been happening now for 2 weeks -sometimes it just chugs a little, other times it almost dies.It almost seems that the harder I hit the gas, the less power it has. Always when I come to a stop, always within a mile or two or taking off. Today when i hit the gas - there was about 6 fairly loud pops heard from in the engine compartment (heard clearly over the engine noise, but i had my radio off)
I have replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Air filter appears clean, although i will change it since i have some laying around.

Any help appreciated.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie
Default RE: engine missing? chugging? problem - help!!

had almost same issue but no loud pop changed my tps and good to go

Old 03-22-2007, 06:50 PM
stroked 383

Hey I have almost the exact same problem. I am getting the diagnostic engine codes: P0300, P0302, and P0308. I know this is a misfire detected in cylinders 2 and 8. I also replaced the cap, rotors, checked wires, and plugs. I figured it was clogged injectors, but the truck will not even start now. I had the same problem though when it was running it would be fine, but as soon as I would hit the gas, the thing would just about die and backfire. So my only real spot left to go is either the fuel filter...but that appears to only be in the gas tank, and the injectors.
I saw DuranguenzeRam just changed his throttle position sensor, but wouldn't that be throwing a code if that were the problem?? I am at a loss to say the least. Caribbean1 if you found the answer to your truck problem could you respond on here or send me a pm.
Anyone else have any ideas???
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie

It threw a code for one day that it really ran rough then the CEL went away but it was still running rough figured 35 bucks was worth my troubles. If no start did u try and hear the fuel delivery system if its actually sending the fuel?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
stroked 383

Yep I hear the fuel pump kick on when I first turn the key on....I read on several other posts on the search and I am also getting the P0138 code. I changed that O2 sensor but I had to splice wires because the Bosch O2 sensor wires were about 6" too short. I am going to buy a new O2 sensor that has the right length cables...and clean off the rest of my O2 sensors w/ some electronics cleaner and see if I can't get it running.
And to top it all off, I think my water pump is bad because after looking under the truck today I saw quite a bit of antifreeze....I have only had this truck for maybe 3 months too.....
I will post up after I get it all taken apart and put back together and let anyone know if thats what my problem was....sorry to the original poster for pirating your thread-but thanks!
Josh

Old 08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Repoman417

So anyone have an answer? i have the exact same problem with my 99 Sport. Mine runs worse since we changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor and O2 sensor. I have tried everything but prayer!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how do your plugs look? ok, or does one or more look bad?

any rich gas smell?
does it always do it once warmed up, or ever cold?
do you have a check engine light. do the key on-off-on-off-on to see them in odometer.

backfiring into intake or exhaust indicates and out of time condition - which points to cam position sensor, which is called secondary pickup coil on parts lookups.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:11 PM
canadian_white

i am having the same kinda prob but my truck just stalls when siting at a red light

Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check IAC, TPS and plug wiring. How is you plenum?

Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 AM
greenjosh

plug wires for sure

Quick Reply: engine missing? chugging? problem - help!!