2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (UPDATE): Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

I've always been into trying things people have been hesitant about so when the time came for new tires last week it was to make some decision making. Now as a disclaimer, I have an unbiased opinion on the price of the tire because I saved up the amount of money for a set of BFG Mud Terrains. My previous set of worn out tires are 265 75 R16 BFG All Terrains. They had good traction and wore nicely so I was unsure whether to back away from what is well.

Then came up a thread on retreaded tires. And the research had begun. There are two companies that would even be considered for retreads on a passenger car that would be Stone Tire, and High Tech Treads(TreadWright). Through research of both the quality hands done went to Treadwright. One bad customer review could not be found no matter how bad I would have liked to have found one. Matter of fact one person had a problem with wear on a toyota forum and they replaced all 4 tires for free. So Treadwright was the decision.

Now on choosing the tire I had decided to go with 285 75 R16 this time around. I have 3.55 gears and an auto so any bigger was out of the question at this point. Even in consideration of new gears I would say that 33's are the best street usage and offroad usage size. Anyway thats my opinion . This time I also wanted an aggressive tread, A mix between the wrangler MTRS and BFG MTs because most of my driving is through deep snow. I settled on this tire. The MTGs

Customer Service- Other people have said it, but I cannot say enough about the customer service. The first time i went to order I accidentally hit "order" but with paypal, and then I went and ordered with my credit card like I had wanted. Well, that was at 2:50 PM. At 3:25 PM they called me and asked if I made a mistake by ordering twice. Very friendly, and thats quick service. If that wasn't enough they already had the shipping set up by 6:10PM. A++ customer service.

Did I mention the BFG tires were $1,100 and these were $406?

As soon as the come there will be product quality inspection, I will personally be mounting and balancing them(So we can see how well they balance). And then road/offroad/snow testing and updates.

Time will tell....

Last edited by SmokeGrinder; 12-24-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

The tires came today, took only 2 days and 1 night since I ordered...Great customer service like i mentioned before...Will be going on as soon as i get a chance. Then the real testing begins. Quality wise, if you didn't know what to look for, you wouldn't know they are retreads, im quite impressed. I havent seen a better retread.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

interesting. lets see how you like them.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:34 AM
chet
Professional

cool keep us updated.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:33 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do all 4 tires match? i mean i am sure the tread does,but do all the sidewalls match? they look like they do in the pic, but cannt tell real good. 400$ bucks that is a killer buy for tires. make sure you keep us posted.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

yes, all 4 sidewalls always match, they don't send mismatched...When you order theres a box that you specify which kind of sidewall you want

Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Viper37
Banned

I plan on watching this thread with great interest. I would like to have a set of 33's to throw on my truck when I go wheeling, but I don't want to hear them the other days of the year.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's cool, I hope they work well. You've peaked my interest.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

Goodluck!

Even being retreaded and checked thoroughly, I would have a hard time using a used tire. Especially after hearing about the whole "Don't use tires that were manufactured 6 years ago or more" thing.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SmokeGrinder: Just curious...do you have to comply with any sort of liability waiver?

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread