2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Draining Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant Draining Question

98 Ram 5.9 2WD

Last weekend I was draining/flushing my cooling system in hopes of fixing my heating issue (you know the one, where the heater kinda works, but not as well when the fan is on high) So I noticed the block drain plug on the drivers side of the block was RIGHT above the starter. WTF? On the other side the plug was more forward. It looked to me you needed to remove the starter just to get to the plug, plus that can't be good to drain coolant all over your starter. So, by removing the plug on the passenger side, did I get all the coolant out of the block or not. Second, do I gotta remove the starter to remove and subsequently drain the drivers side of the block?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The heater core is what needs to be flushed or replaced. But in order to get most of the old fluid out of the block, you do want to remove both plugs. I wouldn't worry about coolant getting on the starter,just hose it off after. And yes that plug is hard to get to, but starter removal is not needed.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Never heard of anyone pulling freeze plugs on their block just to change their coolant out.

My starter gets wet every time it rains. Not sure if you have one that can't get wet. You must have an Arizona truck.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Not the freeze plugs. There are two screw type plugs with a 9/16 head on either side of the block for removing and draining the coolant from your block. About a gallon and a half came out on the passenger side. Your point is made about it getting wet when it rains. But a gallon and a half of coolant being poured right on top of it seemed a little different to me.

Quick Reply: Coolant Draining Question