2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Making my own plenum plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Making my own plenum plate

In the next month or so, I am gonna do the plenum gasket repair along with R&R the timing chain, Harland Sharps, and almost everything between the two (hoses, sensors, etc..). Was looking at Hughes site and thought just how much of a rip off the plenum plates are. $10 in a gasket, $2 in fasteners, and probably $20 in aluminum (just a guess) and they sell it for $86. Thats already a $54 profit, and it probably takes less to make it than my estimates. Now think about how many of you guys have the plenum plates from Hughes? Would 100 people be too small of a number? Because already there, Hughes Engines has made $5500 off of you! I think that is rediclous!

I'm not one to throw away money, so I am gonna make my own plate. I have acess to a pretty cool old mill at my school and my teacher would not care if I used it. I'll go this weekend and get a FEL-Pro gasket from Advance and use that as the template (Or one of you guys can send me your old steel plate! ). The only thing I do not know is where to get the aluminum at, and what grade I need and things (I do know that it needs to be 1/4'' thick!). I can probably flip through the phone book and find whatever I need, though.

Also, Sherrif mentioned that there were two different FEL-Pro plenum gaskets, is this the one?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...KAMS_966013658___

Old 02-17-2010, 09:38 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably more like 50 bucks in Aluminum but 30 bucks is turned into chips..

Now if you're waging that you're labor $$$$$ on a Bridgeport is equal to a CNC, I assure you that you will lose that bet.

But if you wanna try I'd say t-6061 Aluminum, That's what I always used for making machine parts Etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by VEETEN
Probably more like 50 bucks in Aluminum but 30 bucks is turned into chips..

Now if you're waging that you're labor $$$$$ on a Bridgeport is equal to a CNC, I assure you that you will lose that bet.

But if you wanna try I'd say t-6061 Aluminum, That's what I always used for making machine parts Etc.
That just shows how much I know about metal prices! And I'm sure that some of the money goes to cutting these plates out on a laser or water jet (APS says they use a laserjet)

I'm not sure what you are saying in your second line, remember, I'm an idiot!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

worst case here. about $50 for 1' x 2'. i don't know what #number you need.
http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...cc=%20&aident=

look in your local yellow pages for a metal dealer.
local scrap yard.
ask your teacher with the mill.
drive around any industrial areas and look for any place that has metal stacked up.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 PM
pashtrd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you need to machine it? I just made one tonight, took me 20 minutes. I used a cutoff wheel, a drill bit and a grinding disk. you dont need to exactly follow the contour of the steel plate. I left mine straight, but made it curve where the distributer sits. drilled the mounting holes, good to go. Go to a scrapyard find a pc of aluminum. I paid $2.00 for a pc of 1/4" scrap aluminum.

Way to many people rely on companies to manufacture parts for them. This is a simple plate anyone can make. For some its just easier to pick up a phone and charge it. I'm like you. I refuse to buy something if I can make it!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

someone was talking about this a couple of days ago, and said they could get a piece from their work, at cost, which was $2-4, so i guess that was scrap cost of $1-2 per pound. maybe they could get you a piece too. hell, maybe they could get everybody a piece.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

If all else fails, 12'' x 18'' plate for $12. All I need is a 16'' x 7'' , Correct?
https://www.speedymetals.com/pc-83-8375-61sh080.aspx

Originally Posted by pashtrd
Why do you need to machine it? I just made one tonight, took me 20 minutes. I used a cutoff wheel, a drill bit and a grinding disk. you dont need to exactly follow the contour of the steel plate. I left mine straight, but made it curve where the distributer sits. drilled the mounting holes, good to go. Go to a scrapyard find a pc of aluminum. I paid $2.00 for a pc of 1/4" scrap aluminum.

Way to many people rely on companies to manufacture parts for them. This is a simple plate anyone can make. For some its just easier to pick up a phone and charge it. I'm like you. I refuse to buy something if I can make it!
Oh, I just want an excuse to use the mill!

I completly agree with you. If I can DIY, I will.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 02-17-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can also make a trip to the scrap yard and see if they have anything to use there.

I know my local scrap guy will sell stuff out of his yard.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the same way. That's why I drive a 15 year old truck, i enjoy fixing it :P

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
pashtrd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
someone was talking about this a couple of days ago, and said they could get a piece from their work, at cost, which was $2-4, so i guess that was scrap cost of $1-2 per pound. maybe they could get you a piece too. hell, maybe they could get everybody a piece.
That was me. The scrap price was $.80 per pound.

Quick Reply: Making my own plenum plate