2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cat. Convertor questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys should the ceramic in a cat be able to move at all

Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
jbracefan1977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98BlueSport
Ran into some problems with the ol dodger again. to start off I have replaced the Plenum with the Hughes kit. and i have a 02sim from thefastman. I had two snowmobiles on my 4 place trailer that weighs about 1600lbs then the sleds weigh about another 1000 max. So we figure about 2600lbs. I recently put a new trany in it also. I drop 400 miles with the sleds hooked up behind the truck magnaflow catalytic converter all the way from Bay City MI to Houghton MI. truck ran great and got 12mpg pulling in 3rd.
Got gas in Baraga and didnt make it but another 50 miles to marquett and the truck started running like ****. I mean reallly bad. Would hardly idle, fouled the plugs out bad.
It seems like anytime i put a load on the motor it runs terrible.
Could this be because of a bad cat????

I dont know where else to look
ya your cat could be clogged try to clean it or get a universal chepay cata lytic converter off of ebay

Old 03-16-2010, 06:09 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
Hey guys should the ceramic in a cat be able to move at all
I don't believe so, no.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM
truegent81
Captain

didn't want to start another thread since my topic is about magnaflow. thanks to jasonw and his cardomain page, i ordered a magnaflow cat last night. i wish i would have ordered it before 9pm bc it would have shipped yesterday too (ordered it at 950pm). anyway, i think i have decided to switch my project list around. i had the evap/heater first with the plenum following 2nd. however, the evap/heat doesn't affect the performance so i have decided to push the plenum and magnaflow to the front.

just waiting to see if that deal goes through with hughes for the plenum. im excited to put the new cat on since i already have a 40 series flowmaster. i wasn't aware of the cats being bad on dodge until i stumbled to jasonw cardomain page. now that i know this i wonder if this has something to do with a code i got last month about a o2 sensor. the dude at AZ didnt understand what the code reader was saying about it. anyway, i wiggled the o2 sensors and the code went away. MAYBE the code has something to do with the cat, either way im replacing a problem or soon to be problem. if any of yall are ever wondering about the common problems for 2nd gen or just want some ideas, head over to his page (maybe for the new dodge owners or not so mechanically inclined) not saying you have to copy the ideas, but they are a great guideline.

Last edited by truegent81; 05-28-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
pull hard

Here's a very useful thread you'all might be interested in. Ditching the y pipe for true duals doesn't lose that much low end torque, the extra hp more than makes up for it. If you have long tube headers (if you can get em for a 1500) you can even go 2.5" true dual. The truck in the thread added 32HP to the wheels!

Quick Reply: Cat. Convertor questions.