2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hey guys

Old 04-04-2010, 04:57 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you owned a 46re and were going to rebuild it what upgrades would you do so
that it would last longer and handle towing on a regular basis?
Sonax sure cure kit?
The Gm govenor solenoid?
Aftermarket Torque converter?
Aftermarket clutches? What brand Raybestoes? Borg Warner High Energy?
Alto Red Eagle clutches with Kolene steels?
Would you change any hardware internally other then what I already mentioned?
Plastic accumulator to aluminum?
Thanks Dave

Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youve pretty much got it covered dave. I use mostly the alto high energy greens, the alto reds with kolenes would also be a good route but raybestoes makes the blue plate clutches that i use in racing applications, the blues are $$$$.

You might also want to upgrade to a 5 pinion front and rear planet, steel of course. I always upgrade the 3rd gear drum from 3 to 4 frictions, and the o/d brake gets upgraded from 4 to 5. Dont use a stock style 2nd gear band, use the aftermarket band, WITTRANS.COM has them and most every transmission part.

I use precision of new hampton converters. http://www.gopnh.com/ They carry an "RV" converter with the optional billet back, that is a very nice product.

BTW i dont have to own it to put all of these nice parts into it.

The following users liked this post:
Xombi (11-07-2019)
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Thank you very much for your help.
When adding these extra clutches you just use the original drums and the retaining ring fits back in there with the additional frictions?
Just replace original planetary with 5 pinions, nothing else to change to make them fit?
Should the bushings be replaced or only as necessary?
Thanks again Dave

Old 04-04-2010, 07:59 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
Thank you very much for your help.
When adding these extra clutches you just use the original drums and the retaining ring fits back in there with the additional frictions?
Just replace original planetary with 5 pinions, nothing else to change to make them fit?
Should the bushings be replaced or only as necessary?
Thanks again Dave
The bushings are up to you, some can be a pain to replace. When im doing a heavy duty unit i replace all of the bushings, but on a stock job (when the customer doesnt have any money) i only replace as necessary.

The 5 pinion planets are pretty straight forward. As for the clutch plates you are going to need to acquire the thinner pressure plates, (the very top plate of a clutch pack). But yes you will reuse the original drum.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was getting ready to post a thread since I'm having some issues, but you just so happen to be talking about what I need to know about MonteC. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my tranny. I'm doing my O.D. unit right now and I notice that I only have one pressure plate (measures .215") and the ATSG manual says my 46re needs 4 frictions, 3 steels, 1 pressure plate and 1 reaction plate. However, my O.D. units Overdrive clutch units set up has 1 pressure plate, 5 steels and 5 frictions. which setup should I go with? I'm thinking about setting it up the way it already was. What do you think? Will I do more harm then good? BTW glad to see you back! If I lived on the East coast, I'd definitely have you do my rebuild!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Ok thanks

Dave

Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J415
I was getting ready to post a thread since I'm having some issues, but you just so happen to be talking about what I need to know about MonteC. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my tranny. I'm doing my O.D. unit right now and I notice that I only have one pressure plate (measures .215") and the ATSG manual says my 46re needs 4 frictions, 3 steels, 1 pressure plate and 1 reaction plate. However, my O.D. units Overdrive clutch units set up has 1 pressure plate, 5 steels and 5 frictions. which setup should I go with? I'm thinking about setting it up the way it already was. What do you think? Will I do more harm then good? BTW glad to see you back! If I lived on the East coast, I'd definitely have you do my rebuild!
Go back with 5. That is how the 47re's are set up.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J415
I want to make sure I understand this. Your O.D. units Overdrive clutch units set up has 1 pressure plate, 5 steels and 5 frictions and no reaction plate?
Is this correct setup?

Thanks Dave

Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Thats how the 47re's are set up dave. Chrysler took out the reaction plate, made the pressure plate a little larger and added a clutch and a steel.

Actually it was new process that did this, Chrysler commissioned new process to build the o/d units. If someone has been into his transmission before it would be easy to do this. Or if the o/d unit was fried they could have picked up an o/d unit off of a core sitting around to build.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Ok so to set mine up my OD unit like 47re i would add a friction and steel and eliminate the reaction plate and use my original preasue plate?

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hey guys