3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Bumper Painting

Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper Painting

Greetings fellers,
Was taking a look at my rear metal bumper and noticed some rust here and there, was thinking about repainting with spray paint and such, any advice on the project, anyone do this as of yet? Looking at gloss black with clear to protect.

Also, what has your experience with painting the front, plastic bumpers?

Thanks,
BB

Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

for the back bumper, I sanded with 600 grit to get a nice tooth for the Self etching primer to bond to, then hit that with some 1000 grit to get a nice smooth finish and after that 3 coats of color, (body color is always nice) and 3 coats of clear. then buff to a shine. make sure to clean any wax or grease from the surface before starting. when it comes to paint, prep is the most important step.

the front bumper takes Alot of sanding to get rid of the textured finish, I used a 25 dollar jitterbug sander from walmart and some 600 grid and sanded them smooth then hit with primer and some 1000 grit and 3 coats of color 3 coats of clear. but there are other methods.

Take your time, and make sure the surface is completely clean and free of dust, wax and grease before proceeding.

If you want just a normal gloss black, for the front I would strongly suggest Krylon for plastics as it seems to be the most flexible and has held up well in the alabama sun for 2 years.

the first time I painted my bumper i did it in a hurry with walmart store brand paint and it turned dull and looked like crap after just 6 months.

USe high quality paint and Clear coat.

its also better to do light coats and build the color up, than it is to hit it all at once.

Take your time

I would like to suggest this video for a few pointers,

Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

what he said^^^

Old 04-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

If you want your rear bumper Black. clean the rust off, If you cant get it all off use POR15 Over it, This is a Expensive but very effective Rust Converter/Primer and prevents rust as well. Then either Buy the Bed-liner in a spray can, or get it professional coated.
I did it with cheap Bed liner, and it has scrapped off some. I plan to sand it POR15, Bondo to help fill in rust pitting then professional Coated when I get my Trailer done

Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^ that.. ^^^^^^^^

no rust where im at... didnt think about it.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

POR15 Black is UV sensitive and will turn dull after a while, but it is super hard. It goes on fairly thick, so any small imperfections will never be seen since the paint will self level. If the surface is rusty, you don't need a primer and if it's not, you can get a POR product to treat the surface with first and then apply the paint. Here's their site, you can get a lot of information here as well as the closest dealers or order some for delivery.

For already painted surfaces, I've stripped the paint down to bare steel, wet it for a few days running, then wiped off any loose rust & painted it with POR15. I've used the POR products on a lot of Jeep parts, including frames (inside & outside), and bumpers. Two coats gives a nice smooth gloss finish.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Alfons
POR15 Black is UV sensitive and will turn dull after a while, but it is super hard. It goes on fairly thick, so any small imperfections will never be seen since the paint will self level. If the surface is rusty, you don't need a primer and if it's not, you can get a POR product to treat the surface with first and then apply the paint. Here's their site, you can get a lot of information here as well as the closest dealers or order some for delivery.

For already painted surfaces, I've stripped the paint down to bare steel, wet it for a few days running, then wiped off any loose rust & painted it with POR15. I've used the POR products on a lot of Jeep parts, including frames (inside & outside), and bumpers. Two coats gives a nice smooth gloss finish.

I suggested POR15 as a Primer/Rust paint, then Bedliner over that. If you are referring to my post haha

Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

Thanks for the advice. I had used POR15 a while back on my old trucks headers, man that stuff really sticks to skin LOL.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
I suggested POR15 as a Primer/Rust paint, then Bedliner over that. If you are referring to my post haha
I didn't mean to knock your solution - it will work, I was providing a "bedliner free" solution, where you can achieve a smooth, good looking surface with minimal effort.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Alfons
I didn't mean to knock your solution - it will work, I was providing a "bedliner free" solution, where you can achieve a smooth, good looking surface with minimal effort.
I didnt know if you were suggesting it as a option, or thought thats what I meant

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bumper Painting