3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

12v cigarette lighter/center console auxiliary not working!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM
masedawg626
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 12v cigarette lighter/center console auxiliary not working!

I recently purchased a 04 1500 Quad Cab SLT w/ Hemi, I tried to use the in dash lighter imput to charge my phone and no such luck, and yet the lighter it self(although you have to hold it in) gets nice and hot as it should. The center console one does not work at all. I have not checked for fuses for either yet, I can imagine it be a fuse for the console one as it does nothing, but the dash one on the other hand I don't think its a fuse as it actually works with the lighter. HELP, can't play movies for the kiddo in the back seat either!!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM
eng18ine
Rookie

you can start checking fuses first. im a little confused with how many you have?

from what i understand you have one in the dash and one in a center console?

im 100% positive that one of those is a switched source. meaning it only works when the truck is on. the other might always be on.

if the the cigarette lighter its self works, then it has to be the plug your pluging into it. 99% of the plugs out there have cylinder type fuses in them. usually theres a cap right by the silver nipple on top. just unscrew it and theres a fuse there. usually a 250milliamp fuse.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM
masedawg626

ok, fuses checked, they were fine. this time with some more diagnostic thinking, i discovered that neither are supposed to work unless the key is in aux or on for child safety. So I tried the in dash lighter and with key on I discovered that i was able to wiggle the plug around to get the light on it to come on.

that being said i believe i need to replace that, so how do i do that?

Center console aux outlet: does not work at all with key on or off, doing the wiggle with the plug and for the heck of it i tried the lighter in it and nothing. I looked under the seat and found a bunch of wires and 1 of which does go under the center, but they all appeared to be connected correctly. PLus the power seats work fine. I would think they were the same fuse. So now i think I might need to either replace that outlet or it might be a connection issue with the outlet itself. either way, I dont know how to remove it so I need help there too please.

thank you!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all rams have the aux outlet in the console as that was a optional up grade with the up level seats.

Lighter and dash aux oulet are on a seperate fuse

Old 04-23-2013, 04:58 PM
masedawg626

i assume the seat and console aux outlet are on the same fuse cause all of the wiring is together. and the seats work fine.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the phone adapter work in another vehicle? Many 'ebay special' 12v adapers for charging phones barely put out enough amperage. You can check this by seeing if it charges in another vehicle. I have found that it should put out at least 0.5 amps, and I prefer 1A or more.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 PM
masedawg626

yes, but just to make sure I used the Garmin adapter that always works cause it's quality and it like i said works with the wiggle but only on the in dash outlet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12v cigarette lighter/center console auxiliary not working!