1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C efan , Aux Fan Pics

Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM
majerus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C efan , Aux Fan Pics

Last summer I had issues with the a/c being luke warm. I had the entire system replaced, new compressor, evap, all sorts of other stuff and charged according to spec. Still was never cold to my liking. I was wondering if anyone has added a efan to the ac condenser and has pictures. My durango is a 99 with 5.9 and only has an mechanical fan. I understand the newer durangos 00 and above used an additional fan, i hit up two junk yards today and could not find a single one with an extra efan. I also did multiple Google searches and cannot find a pic with the additional fan.. Anyone have pics? Thanks.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I got rid of my mechanical fan altogether and replaced it with an electric fan from a 90s taurus that moves more air than the mechanical one ever did, and now my a/c is nice and cold.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM
majerus
Rookie

Do you tow with your durango much? I was thinking about removing mine however I was reading that when towing I would not be able to keep the thing cool. Also when I went to the junk yard yesterday I picked up a large fan from a Mercury Grand Marquis do you think that thing could move enough air? Also what did you do to control the on off cycles?

Last edited by majerus; 04-30-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
that_guy
Champion

The biggest thing I usually tow is an atv trailer, so I don't really have a definite answer for that, however on paper the taurus fan should have no problem keeping everything cool.

I don't have any information on the crown vic fan. Try searching around online for airflow numbers.

I have a dakota digital fan controller that manages the fan according to the water temp, a/c state, and so on.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM
majerus
Rookie

The controller looks good, just curious were you having ac issues and then decided to upgrade? Was the wiring pretty simple?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
that_guy
Champion

The main reason I ditched the mechanical fan was because after my stock fan clutch went out I couldn't get one that was as good as the original. They all sounded like a jet taking off for the first few minutes of driving and then in the time you'd be sitting at a red light (even if it was only for a few seconds) with the a/c on the clutch would completely engage again and sound roar for a while again and sometimes it didn't even disengage all of the way, not to mention the water temp would start going up at red lights. I was going to do the TSB v10 fan swap, but the parts for it were more expensive than getting the electric setup, which I think is better because the fan only has to run when it's necessary instead of constantly sapping power and it can run at whichever speed is necessary regardless of the engine speed.

Before I had the electric fan my a/c didn't work particularly well, but a combination of the electric fan and other various things now have it working fine. I'm not sure that it's all down to the fan, but then again there was a reason Dodge added a condenser fan in 2000.

The wiring was pretty straight forward. The controller came with one 70 amp relay and then I bought another 30 amp one so that it can make use of the separate high and low speeds of the taurus fan. For the most part I was able to get all of the electrical feeds (minus the main power for the fans obviously) from relays in the PDC by sticking the wire into the appropriate terminal on the relay and then just putting the relay back into place.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM
majerus
Rookie

So i double checked the fan and it is a single speed so I am not sure how that is going to work out. Also I think this thing is going to pull a ton of amps on start. I will try to test it and post its amperage on here, the fan moves a ton of air though its unreal. Thanks for all the pics

Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 AM
that_guy
Champion

If it's only a single speed fan I'd go for one of the Flex-A-Lite Variable speed controllers. It also has a function to turn the fans speed up slowly so that the startup spike is low. My controller just has high and low and the high speed startup spike is about 60 amps and then 30 amps steady. Low is about 15 amps steady, not sure what the startup is.

Not sure about your fan, but mine is 3750cfm of air.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM
majerus
Rookie

I just bought Flex-a-lite 31165 Variable Speed Control Module, It had really good reviews and should be here Thursday.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that fan and shroud setup looks kinda small? Still about 20 percent of the radiator surface has no air moving thru it when idle can cause hot spots.

That is what is doing on my truck with my mechanical fan taken off. The OEM Efan can really keep the system cool. But have trouble maintaining 180 with A/C on and set to pull outside air when temp is 90 degrees. Temp is holding near 200 degrees.

I wonder when hot 100+ temps arrive to DFW to see if the Efan can still hold up as it is not covering the entire surface of the radiator (about 20percent of radiator does not have air moving thru it when idle.

May have to re-install my mechanical fan during the summer or add a 2nd efan similar to the user that did that with his RAM truck in this forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C efan , Aux Fan Pics