3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What's next??

Old 05-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Hemi over everything
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's next??

So I'm trying to decide what to do next to my 05 hemi and I want some opinions. I'm choosing between a new 87mm maybe 90mm throttle body, a tuner (not sure what brand), or an e-fan
I want the best thing for
1. Gas mpg
2. Power
3. Best bang for my buck

I don't wanna hear about how if I care about mileage I should've gotten a Prius and I don't wanna buy any used parts or get anything from junkyards so I would be going off regular retail prices

Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Here we go again. 10 posts and you want to dictate what you do and don't want to hear?

You missed the point of the Prius comment. If you want to be realistic about mpg expectations, fine. The other guy wasn't.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Of those options, E-fan hands down, followed by the tuner.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The E-fan is the ONLY mod out there that would satisfy those 3. Other then that you have to sacrifice one for the others.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Hemi over everything

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
Here we go again. 10 posts and you want to dictate what you do and don't want to hear?

You missed the point of the Prius comment. If you want to be realistic about mpg expectations, fine. The other guy wasn't.
Sorry if I came off wrong man I obviously know these things are terrible on gas but its a daily driver for a long commute so if I can make it a little better on gas than I would like to, but I don't have unrealistic expectations

Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Hemi over everything

Would a bigger throttle body hurt gas mileage?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Jareski
Veteran

Power over all else. You don't have fun with MPGs.

I'd go with a tuner.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Well dammit, you are no fun. I thought you were going to call me a ***** and we could back and forth for a bit. LOL

Hey, I am just glad to see that you searched on the topic before posting about it, even if it did bring up recent but bad memories.

There is probably a lot more you can do for power than there is for mpg. Keep it cleaned out and maintain it and maybe a tuner would probably be the easiest things to do (although a tuner was a bad experience for me). E-fan would probably help a little. The cool thing would be to squeeze more power and get better mpg at the same time.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if your commute is mostly highway, that efan isnt going to do much. Your fan doesn't run much if at all when you are moving at highway speeds. You might squeeze a tiny bit with the efan and a tiny bit with the tuner, but honestly your best bet is to keep it tuned, use synthetic oil, make sure your egr and o2's are newish, sparkplugs are good, run some seafoam or marvel mystery oil to clean out the sludge. Do all that and you will be running in peak form. Between a tuner (~300 to 350), efan (~300 if you buy a kit), and other stuff you might buy such as a cai and exhaust system, you could spend 1500 bucks trying to increase power/fuel economy, but that will take forever to get back the money in the incremental ( likely ~1 to 2mpg) gains.

But, if you have some extra liquid cash and want to save a few bucks monthly and have a more fun and powerful truck, there are certainly some options.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM
cuda19791
Rookie

Well its nice to see I am not the only one who would like to get better gas mileage. I hope you are getting better then 9.2 mpg thats what I got on my first tank of gas. I then got a superchips cortex and installed the mileage tune I am at 1\4 of a tank and I am now getting 12mpg. I do almost all in town driving. I am getting ready to do the e fan mod so not sure how much that helps yet but a tuner sure did help my mpg.

Search this Thread