3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Intakes, Lemonade and the Smell of Black Cherries

Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 PM
FrankADavisJr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intakes, Lemonade and the Smell of Black Cherries

So I recently purchased a Mopar CAI as a used item described as "low mileage" only to have what showed up at my house include a fairly scratched intake pipe, ditto for the air box, a missing grommet and a missing bolt. Needless to say I was moderately bummed.

Thinking about what my Mom always told me about making lemondade from lemons, I dropped the intake tube off at my local body shop (Community Collision in Hackettstown - they are awesome) and had them paint it the Mineral Gray color of my D. I stopped by Autozone and picked up some VHT gloss black paint and 800 grit sandpaper for the air box. I also found some door guard edging that looked better around the sharp cutout around my intake tube than the factory stuff must have looked.

Let's see if I can get this picture insertion thing right:

Also, thanks to a good friend of mine, I recently stumbled across a "sealant/wax" called Chemical Guys Black Light, and a spray sealent of theirs called V7. I've been a Zaino fanatic for years and typically detail my truck once a month in nice weather, and spray detail it every 2-3 days to keep it looking sharp. This Black Light stuff is AMAZING and I highly encourage you to check it out. It works expecially well on dark vehicles (black looks ridiculous with it) but I'm pretty pleased the way my minearal gray D turned out. This is a pic of the hood taken about 20 minutes ago. DEEP reflections and totally wet looking. It goes on easy, comes off really easy and looks like (and smells like) black cherry cream.

Now that I have the Flowmaster cat-back, Mopar Intake and Diablo Intune, I am beyond happy with the Durango R/T. Does the gearing suck a little bit? Yeah, but given how well it looks, sounds and feels, I can deal with manually shifting though the gears. I prefer three pedals anyway.

Thanks for checking this post out. Hope everyone in the Jersey crew is enjoying this gorgeous weather!

Attached Thumbnails Intakes, Lemonade and the Smell of Black Cherries-frankadavisjr-210727-albums-frank-s-2012-durango-r-t-15810-picture-frank-durango-hood-42818.jpg  

Last edited by FrankADavisJr; 05-04-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 PM
SlvrShrk
Professional

That is an awesome shine! I might have to look into that stuff.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

NICE JOB....FRANK
Everything came out Great
It is a Beauty in North Jersey today.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

Nice job! Looks great!

I do detailing part time and love CG BL . Tried V7 and like it but will stick with some of my other products. V7 is not a dedicate spray sealant, it has some cleaners too. So it can affect the longevity of some waxes/sealants.

Here is what I used on mine as soon as I got it.

Foam with foam cannon, Gilmore foam gun, Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss and 1 clean water bucket with grit guard and Griots MF wash mitt

Dry with leaf blower, Adams MF towels and Ultima WW

Apply Duragloss 501 and 601 (paint cleaner/sealant and bonding agent)with Griots Polisher and LC Red Pad, buff with Adams towels

Apply Duragloss 105 and 601 (sealant and bonding agent)with Griots Polisher and LC Blue Pad, buff with Adams towels

Apply Collonite 845 Insulator Wax (awesome wax, last very long), buff with Adams towels

Wheels:

Clean with soap and water , wheel cleaner was not necessary and should only be used on very dirty wheels. If wheels are protected with a sealant or durable wax dirt will come off with plain soap and water

Apply Duragloss 501/601 buff with Costco towels (wheels and interior)
Apply Collonite 476S (very durable paste wax) buff with Costco Towels

Interior:

Wipe down entire interior with MF towels and Megs Quick Interior Detailer
Apply Ultima Interior Guard Plus, this is an interior sealant that drys clear and protects leather plastic and vinyl. Wait a few mins and buff with MF towel and every interior texture feels like cashmere.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM
SlvrShrk
Professional

Great....now I just spent half an hour learning about Duragloss....seems like a cool product line.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great bro!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM
phoneguy589
Professional

Looks great and glad it worked out. Does the paint on anyone's D feel gritty? I waxed mine again and the paint doesn't feel like glass... Just curious.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:18 PM
SlvrShrk
Professional

Did you clay bar it before waxing it? The grit you feel may be rail dust, etc from transport.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:18 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

You need to claybar that ride.
It sounds like Rail dust in your paint.
Often when they ship these D's by Rail the fine metal particles from the trains running gear travel thru the air and stick to the paint on new cars.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:38 PM
phoneguy589
Professional

Thanks for the tip... Heard about clay bars but never tried them. Will pick it up tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intakes, Lemonade and the Smell of Black Cherries