1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Dodge Durange Turn Signal

Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 AM
bkid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Durange Turn Signal

I have a 99' Durango and my right front turn signal started acting up. It started to blink at a fast rate of speed unlike the left which is normal. The outer light went out so I replaced the bulb and now neither light comes on yet it still makes the fast sound. I put the old bulb back in but still no luck. My rear turn signal works but blinks at the faster rate. I can't pass inspection without it working so I wanted to know if anyone come lend any advice how to proceed. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Welcome to DF! Moving this to the Durango section so they can help you out.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:43 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Make sure the metal connections in the housing are touching. This happens frequently.

SJ02

Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM
scotiadawg

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe02
Make sure the metal connections in the housing are touching. This happens frequently.

SJ02
Metal connections to what ?????? My magnum truck is doing the SAME freakin thing !

Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Metal connections in the lens housing to the metal connections to the bulb housing. I don't think they are the same in the trucks.

SJ02

Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
bkid
Default Update of the turn signal problem 05.07.13

I checked the housing for the bulb plug and did notice some corrosion, so I scraped off as much as I could and used some canned air to clean out. I put extra bulb grease on the bulb connections and plugged them back in. I still had no light on my right front turn signal. After 2 days, all of a sudden my turn signal sounded normal (not the fast clicking) and my bulbs were working again, so I quickly went down and got the inspection and it has been working fine now for the last 2 weeks. I'm not sure what happened but maybe that bulb grease finally worked through some of the corrosion and established a good connection with the bulb housing plug.

Even though it wasn't an immediate remedy, I think the cleaning of the bulb contacts that hold the bulb and the extra bulb grease probably did the trick. I will revisit this page if my situation changes but so far so good. Thank you guys for your comments, they were much appreciated.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If it happens again, there's another connection between the wiring and the bulb holder on the front. If you squeeze it from the sides they should separate.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
bkid

Scotiadawg, I have included an image i found online to hopefully help you out. I should have taken pictures while I had mine apart but forgot to. In the bulb housing there are 2 metal strips that pinch in that hold the actual bulb in place while making a connection. Those metal pieces are what became corroded. Just scrape them with a thin flat screwdriver and apply extra bulb grease.

http://www.acpartshouse.com/Content/...l/120242_o.jpg

Last edited by bkid; 05-07-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: image attached incorrectly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Durange Turn Signal