2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

04 Neon SXT Running on 2 Cylinders!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
inthesprint
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 Neon SXT Running on 2 Cylinders!

Hi guys, I am brand new here and I am hoping you guys may be able to help double check my troubleshooting for my car.
Ok, quick background. I own a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT SOHC 4cyl. automatic that currently has 207,xxx miles. I have owned it since 2009 when I got it with about 170,000 miles on it. I mostly commute with the car, I have not modified it in any way and try my best to keep up with the regular maintenance schedule. Before the problems I am about to address I had 3 CEL codes. P0301, P0300, and one other telling me I don't have my battery temperature sensor plugged in.
Now on to the problem...a little under a month ago I realized the car started overheating. No problem, flushed coolant, replaced thermostat, replaced radiator(leaking quite a bit from the lower hose fitting). After all of this went down we started it for the first time and it was running extremely rough...oh crap. Checked plugs and wires, there is no spark coming from the wires on cylinders 1 or 4. Replaced the plugs and wires before this. Uninstalled the coil pack and had it tested, it's fine. Used a test light to test the three wires running to the plug at the coil pack. 12v wire checked out alright. 2/3 sending wire checked out ok. 1/4 sending wire, did not check out. Next I followed the wire to the ecu. There is continuity in the wire. Also ran a compression test before this, it wasn't great but they were all about acceptable if I remember correctly.
Sorry about the long post, do you guys have any tips on what to do next? Is my computer fried? If so, what's the next step? I start school in a couple weeks so it's either fix my beloved Neon or buy another car. Any other information you need I would be glad to give to you! Thank you so much for reading!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 AM
xarkhun
Rookie

i would try replacing the coil pack even though it tested fine doesn't mean it's not going bad i had something happen to me like this with my 93 ford e350 5.8L it has a single coil that runs to a cap a rotor and the coil was going bad so the cylinders weren't firing correctly or at all so i replaced the coil and all is well so again i say and if its not that at least you know its new plus it's a lot cheaper then an ecm

Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM
inthesprint

I neglected to mention the whole coil pack situation I went through. Alright, so after the plugs and wires were replaced, I took the coil pack into autozone and said the 2/3 section was out of range. I had them test it again, it was good. I think he had his finger touching the terminal or something, throwing it off. Either way i had them pull out a new one and test that one out of the box. It was good so I figured why not buy it and at least eliminate that being the issue. Got it home, installed it and got the same result. That sucked really bad...only good thing is that they actually allowed me to return it which surprised me quite a bit. Thank you for the reply, and sorry for shooting down your theory because i wish it worked, haha.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM
xarkhun
Rookie

n/p didn't know all the info. did you notice any crimp or pinched spots in the wire connecting the coil pack to the ECM that could be the reason why the 1 and 4 pins didn't check out sorry i'm not much help just trying to think of all i can to eliminate the possibility of a bad ECM

Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM
inthesprint

So I uninstalled most of the Engine Wiring Harness to look for a fault in the wiring. I haven't found anything yet but I ran out of daylight so I am going to look into this hopefully tomorrow.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 AM
xarkhun
Rookie

i was looking through my haynes manual and it says to check the gap on the plugs

Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 AM
inthesprint

I went through that already, at first I installed the new spark plugs but didn't gap them. Ran back to AutoZone to get the tool that gaps them and did that, still nothing...Good idea though, thanks for the help. I ended up buying a new car. The Neon isn't done but it will become car number 2 so I am still trying to fix it. I won't give up!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:40 PM
xarkhun
Rookie

i'll be here to try and help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 Neon SXT Running on 2 Cylinders!