4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 EVIC question....

Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 PM
hattitude
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 EVIC question....

The dealer I asked appears to be clueless... so I need some help.

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 ST w/3.6L V6. The radio is the basic 3.0 Uconnect radio, but I have an EVIC in the center of the gauges.

While driving, I usually have the EVIC in the "gauge summary" screen.

My question........ When I shut off the truck, and then eventually restart it, is the EVIC supposed to return to the last screen selected.....?

I ask because mine never returns to the screen I was viewing when I shut off the truck. While it isn't hard to navigate back to what I'd like to see, if the EVIC is malfunctioning or has a glitch, I'd like to get it sorted out while the truck is still under warranty.

Does anybody know how it's supposed to work? What does your EVIC do?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:20 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

OPERATION

The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) uses both non-switched and ignition switched sources of battery current so that some of its features remain operational at any time, while others may only operate with the ignition switch in the ON position. When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the EVIC display will return to the last function being displayed before the ignition was turned to the OFF position.
The EVIC system consists of several different components that communicate over the Controller Area Network (CAN) and Local Interface Network (LIN) data buses. If the system is inoperative, a scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information must be used to diagnose the system.

The EVIC switch pod push buttons on the left spoke of the steering wheel are used to operate the available functions of the EVIC system. Pressing and releasing the MENU push button (6) allows the operator to select the Compass/Temperature, Trip Computer, Navigation (if equipped), Personal Settings (also known as customer programmable features) or System Status functions. The DOWN / SCROLL push button (4) is used to scroll through options or features of the Trip Computer, Personal Settings or System Status functions. Pressing and releasing the SELECT / RESET push button (3) enables the selection or resetting of the feature or function presently displayed in the EVIC. Pressing and releasing the COMPASS push button (5) will provide instant access to the compass/temperature display mode from any other mode.
In addition, if the vehicle is so equipped, the EVIC switch pod will include a VR (Voice Response) push button (1) to activate the optional Uconnect™ Voice Command system and a PHONE push button (2) to activate the Uconnect™ Phone system.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DodgeCares: Is that 'return to last function being displayed' feature something new for 2013 (or 2011+)? My 2010 EVIC does not work that way. It returns to default view.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 PM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
OPERATION

The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) uses both non-switched and ignition switched sources of battery current so that some of its features remain operational at any time, while others may only operate with the ignition switch in the ON position. When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the EVIC display will return to the last function being displayed before the ignition was turned to the OFF position.
The EVIC system consists of several different components that communicate over the Controller Area Network (CAN) and Local Interface Network (LIN) data buses. If the system is inoperative, a scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information must be used to diagnose the system.
Thanks Chris....

That pretty much sums it up. If that was in the owners manual, I can't believe I missed it.

I am currently trying all the different functions to see where the EVIC goes after restart.

Currently;

While in gauge mode, and on "gauge summary" or any other gauge screen, it always returns to tire monitor after restart.

While in gauge mode, and on "tire monitor" screen, it will often return to menu screen after restart.

Just trying to make sure it's working correctly. At least now I know what it is supposed to do.....

Thanks for the assist

Old 05-09-2013, 05:16 PM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
DodgeCares: Is that 'return to last function being displayed' feature something new for 2013 (or 2011+)? My 2010 EVIC does not work that way. It returns to default view.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob,

Just out of curiosity.... what is your default view...?

Thanks,

Bernie

Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

There are "modes" and there are "functions". I am going to try and get the definition of each. The description I posted above came out of the service manual not the owners manual. It is my hunch that there are 4 or 5 main screens that your EVIC will return to when re-started. I believe if you are in a sub category of one of the main functions it will return to the main function screen not the sub category. I will try and get clarification on this and post up anything else I find on the EVIC screens.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hattitude
Rob,

Just out of curiosity.... what is your default view...?

Thanks,

Bernie
The list of top-level menu options, including current radio station, 'vehicle info', 'fuel economy', 'tire pressure info', etc. It always returns to that upon restart and the radio station is highlighted.

Rob

Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

The only truck we had here currently was a 2012 SLT. We went down and set the EVIC on different settings from tire pressure to miles to empty and every time we shut the vehicle off, waited a minute or two, and restarted it, the screen that it was on when the ignition was turned to off came back up when restarted. I will research to see if there is some kind of default that could be checked or unchecked in the EVIC settings that may make a difference to what is displayed upon startup but the vehicle we used for testing worked the way the service manual described above said it should work.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
The list of top-level menu options, including current radio station, 'vehicle info', 'fuel economy', 'tire pressure info', etc. It always returns to that upon restart and the radio station is highlighted.

Rob
Originally Posted by DodgeCares
The only truck we had here currently was a 2012 SLT. We went down and set the EVIC on different settings from tire pressure to miles to empty and every time we shut the vehicle off, waited a minute or two, and restarted it, the screen that it was on when the ignition was turned to off came back up when restarted. I will research to see if there is some kind of default that could be checked or unchecked in the EVIC settings that may make a difference to what is displayed upon startup but the vehicle we used for testing worked the way the service manual described above said it should work.
Thank you both for your help.

I originally went to a dealer and asked about this. I also mentioned the 08-018-13 Rev.B Technical Service Bulletin.

They checked the truck, said nothing was wrong, no outstanding updates needed, but they "reconfigured" something (BCM...?) in case there was a memory issue.

When I picked it up, I restarted it 4x (within 10 seconds) and each time it stayed on "Gauge summary" when I restarted. First time that ever happened. Of course, an hour later when I restarted, it jumped back to tire pressure monitor.

I'm thinking I may have a glitch in my computer, but before I go in and try to explain it to the dealer, I'd like to be sure I understand it myself. They didn't seem to care one way or the other....

Again, I appreciate the assist......

Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hattitude
Thank you both for your help.

I originally went to a dealer and asked about this. I also mentioned the 08-018-13 Rev.B Technical Service Bulletin.

They checked the truck, said nothing was wrong, no outstanding updates needed, but they "reconfigured" something (BCM...?) in case there was a memory issue.

When I picked it up, I restarted it 4x (within 10 seconds) and each time it stayed on "Gauge summary" when I restarted. First time that ever happened. Of course, an hour later when I restarted, it jumped back to tire pressure monitor.

I'm thinking I may have a glitch in my computer, but before I go in and try to explain it to the dealer, I'd like to be sure I understand it myself. They didn't seem to care one way or the other....

Again, I appreciate the assist......
When you restarted 4 times, did you fully shut things down by opening the door? If not, the dash stays 'live' (i.e. radio stays on) even if the key is shut off and/or removed. That may be the difference in why it seemed to remember initially and then reset later.

Bear in mind my truck is a 2010, so a lot of software things may have changed in 2012 and 2013 models.

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 EVIC question....