1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My Durango's down for the time being

Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default My Durango's down for the time being

My Durango's wounded for the time being. Last night, some stupid lady in her Lexus turned left in front of me as I was turning right and came into my lane and hit me. I had the green light and was turning right while she was coming the opposite way on the road I was turning off of and turned left. I stayed in the right lane and she came flying around the corner way to fast for the turn (probably around 25-30mph) and drove right into me. The cop wrote her a ticket for an improper turn, for not having proof of insurance with her and placed her solely at fault. She then tried lying to the cop saying I came into the left lane, the cop walked her up to the intersection and showed her the tire marks, then got out matchbox cars and explained to her why she was a moron. Then she kept trying to say she didn't see me so I couldn't see her or something like that, even though as soon as I saw her, I got on the brakes and hit the horn. I managed the threshold braking pretty well until the last 1.5-2 feet before she hit me.

The front suspension was a bit tweaked so I had it towed to a local guy my parents know, he does real good work, and my damage is pretty much all body work other than where she hit the wheel and it pushed the upper control arm off the bushing. It also pushed the tie rod in which shoved the steering box over to the side and the front wheel now has a significant amount of toe out relative to the other one. There's no damage to the frame.

This moron was driving a Lexus RX and, the way she cut in front of me, the front corner of my car caught the back door and rear wheel. Her door is completely caved in and the rear quarter panel is pushed in and, since the Lexus is unibody, they'll have to replace the entire right side of her car. Her rear wheel wasn't sitting right either, so I'm guessing her rear suspension is shot.

Bumper got pushed down the whole way across.

Wheel that got hit (at least it was the one where the finish was peeling.)

The control arm forced off the bushing (the liquid is coolant from the burp tank getting cracked.)

Steering shaft.

The ball joint got messed up too.

These are the only pics I have of this *****'s Lexus.

My wheels didn't slide until they got to the painted lines

You can see where the line on the road is and she came completely into my lane and hit me.

Here's a little diagram of the accident (I'm the blue line obviously.) I'd just came out of McDonalds and was turning right onto Clemson Rd from the hardscrabble road and had the green light. The straight lanes on her side also had the green light, but the left turn lane didn't have a separate left turn arrow so you have to yield to opposing traffic. She was turned left from the hardscrabble road onto Dlemson Rd going about 25-30mph (which is way too fast for a turn that's sharper than 90°) and plowed right into me as I was turning right. She was going fast enough she'd probably have ended up on the sidewalk if she hadn't hit me!

Everything was all clean and freshly washed this morning as you can see in my signature pic.

Last edited by that_guy; 05-10-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just looking at your new sig pic before reading this post and was thinking it looks like she's smiling! What a shame! Was that chic drunk? Sorry to hear it, but at least you're ok.

SJ02

Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, at least you got a cop that was on your side and not out to screw you.

About four years ago i was driving a 18 wheeler thru town.. the road was wide but NOT marked for 2 lanes. I went to make a right turn with my signal on and swung out to the left a little to give me the room to make the turn.

Meanwhile there was a chick in a vehicle (cant remember what) that got impatient and decided to quickly pass me on the right side. All the heard was "chrunch"... Well the lady in the car could not have been much more than 18-19 years old. She was wearing a really short mini skirt and when the cop was taking her statement, took every effort to make sure the cop got a good tour of her chest...

When it was all said and done, the cop charged me with the accident and cited me for hitting her.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe02
I was just looking at your new sig pic before reading this post and was thinking it looks like she's smiling! What a shame! Was that chic drunk? Sorry to hear it, but at least you're ok.

SJ02
Not she's just stupid.

Originally Posted by Old_School
Well, at least you got a cop that was on your side and not out to screw you.

About four years ago i was driving a 18 wheeler thru town.. the road was wide but NOT marked for 2 lanes. I went to make a right turn with my signal on and swung out to the left a little to give me the room to make the turn.

Meanwhile there was a chick in a vehicle (cant remember what) that got impatient and decided to quickly pass me on the right side. All the heard was "chrunch"... Well the lady in the car could not have been much more than 18-19 years old. She was wearing a really short mini skirt and when the cop was taking her statement, took every effort to make sure the cop got a good tour of her chest...

When it was all said and done, the cop charged me with the accident and cited me for hitting her.
I hope you fought that in court.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
I hope you fought that in court.
Yep, and lost!

She appeared to me as another classic case of the spoiled rich girl that uses her assets to get what she wants. She had a rider with her and based on the DOB the guy gave the cop, it would put him in his 50's.... so i assumed that he was her father. When we got into court he testified that he was her boyfriend for the last year.

I would like to see her in 30 years again when shes aged to the point even thousands on dollars in surgery can't make her look good and see how that method is working out for her...lol

BTW did the lady crack the new headlights or can they be saved?

Last edited by Old_School; 05-10-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM
that_guy
Champion

That really sucks. I'm picturing Joan rivers now.

The lens didn't break, but the projector got torn off of the back when it hit the fender. I think the projector will be salvageable.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 PM
majerus
Rookie

sorry to hear about that man. Your durango looked really good hope you get it fixed.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 PM
that_guy
Champion

I hope so too, but I'm really worried that they might total it since the steering and suspension are damaged.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM
majerus
Rookie

Yea I could see that happening with shop rates. Hopefully they dont.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 PM
that_guy
Champion

I genuinely hope they don't, but it's not looking good. Blue Book value is about $2700. A few years ago when I got ran into and they just had to replace the fender and straighten out the bumper it was $2100, although that was at the dealership. Now the fender needs replaced, the bumper needs replaced, the wheel needs replaced, and the front suspension and steering will most likely need replaced too, so things are really looking bad. The insurance people won't be looking at it until Monday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Durango's down for the time being