3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Interesting convo with Kumho Rep..

Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 AM
PortAuthorityCop
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting convo with Kumho Rep..

So couple of weeks ago I posted a thread regarding my OEM Kumho KL21s. RT has 18k on it and my treads are not that far from wear bars, I rotate every 6k. Went to the dealer and brought this to their attention and they gave me the number to Kumho s customer service. I spoke with a rep and she said plain and simple. "There is no warranty on tires that come straight from the factory. You could have 10k on them and there is nothing we can do about it. These tires are specifically purchased by Dodge to go their vehicles upon assembly. If you had purchased these tires after market you would have qualified for the 60k warranty." I said okaay whats the difference? these tires are not gonna last me anywhere near 60k miles how would thee ones from an aftermarket tire company differ/ She said and I quote " The tires that are put on vehicles upon assembly are not from the same compound as those made for general public sales." Compond as in rubber compond I asked. She said yes. I said so in so many words the ones that come standard on vehicles are a cheaper quality than those purchased privately? She responded "well yes". I said and this call is recorded for quality assistance? she said "yes".S he then proceeded to offer me 25% off the purchase of new tires from a participating Kumho Tire distributor in my area. I was shocked but at least all of us that are burning through these tires a bit too fast have an idea why. What a joke. I spend 35Gs on a truck with cheap Tires no turn signals on the mirrors and a rattle from under the hood starting at 35mph. Funny thing is..I love the frigg n thing. Go figure.

Last edited by PortAuthorityCop; 05-13-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 AM
SS2RT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u have a rattle too? I assume you have a 2011?
(no turn signals and kumhos gave it away I think)

I have a rattle on my 2013 R/T - I noticed it since 1-2k miles ( i have 6k now)
I can hear it at about 20-25mph (may be faintly heard before that and its a louder rattle
the quicker I accelerate) - def on the driver side

let me know what you find about yours - its loud and annoying

Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM
PortAuthorityCop
Rookie

I have a 2012. That rattle is an on going issue as you will see on this forum. Numerous threads regarding it. Many seem to think its the line hoses under the hood on drivers side. You have a 2013 and it is doing it so Dodge has obviously not addressed it. I don't want this thread to turn into a rattle thread, as it is posted on here previously. Do you have Kumhos or Good Years on yours? Thanks

Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM
SS2RT
Captain

well this thread seems more like an informational one, so not sure where you want it to go...

but since you mentioned it nobody has updated the rattle issue in a while, so I'd love to hear if someone found a resolution - hate to let dealer take my truck apart fishing around, if I know where it is I'd rather do it or at least give them clear direction

Last edited by SS2RT; 05-13-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Where are you hearing this rattle SS2?
I haven't heard it yet...i don't think
STEVE

Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
SS2RT
Captain

drivers side, sounds like its coming from dash area but no matter where I touch while driving I dont feel it or anything obvious. I'll record it tonight see if I can get good audio

it sounds like a vibration induced rattle

its wors over bumpy roads, and also at WOT even on straight roads its loud

I did have the line hoses at the top/drivers side of engine bay just after the windshield on my short list of possibilities when i tried to find it quick a few times, but I tied those up a bit and still I get the sound. They do/did move around though...

Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Solphurious
Professional

I recall a thread discussing this, (or a similar rattle), months ago. One potential culprit may be the hood mounting bolts. I think there is a TSB on the bolt replacement. Check with the dealer. I did hear the rattle but had mine updated by the dealer. Rattle all gone.

Good luck,

Wayne

Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
SS2RT
Captain

yes I tried/checked the items mentioned previously like center speaker, line hoses, etc -

doesnt sound like bolts or metal it sounds like plastic or a light material. I'll check the bolts anyway though

Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
rrjjpp74
Rookie

I had the same issue on my 2011 Grand Cherokee, but mine was Goodyear Fortera. I called and wrote Goodyear customer service. They contacted me back told me to take it to a Goodyear shop. They then comped me so much on the tires. They even told me about the compound also. But still took care of me. needless to say I was pretty surprised and it was just a shot in the dark.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
CMil527
Champion

Love how the dealer passes the buck... clowns!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting convo with Kumho Rep..