Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2012 caravan transmission fluid check

Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 AM
mrbee4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 caravan transmission fluid check

How dose the dealer check the transmission fluid and what tool is used.

Thank you

Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 PM
gentz
Professional

Transmission fluid is checked with a special dipstick and a scan tool. Should read at certain levels depending on temperature

Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 AM
eden2
Default tranny

so..how can we check it...in a roadside situation in the middle of the night when we see a leak ???how will we know its safe to drive before we burn out the tranny ???
sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to happen,,,,,,
sine they are taking responsabilty for it by sealingt it off.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM
thegogetter222

Bump.

Anyone figure out a cleaver way of checking this themselves? Its hard to break from normal maintenance procedures in the garage to now rely on the dealership for simple servicing. thanks in advance

Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 PM
blknblu

Dorman has the transmission dipstick now - 917-327

They are around $20 at Amazon

Old 05-16-2013, 01:16 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blknblu
Dorman has the transmission dipstick now - 917-327

They are around $20 at Amazon
Wow, thanks for the advice. I've been avoiding to pay $50 thru Chrysler for a freaking dip stick that should have been included when ppl paid $30k for a car.

for thegogetter222, you can use the Oil Dip stick to check the trans fluid level. Just wipe it clean, stick it into the trans dipstick tube until it bottoms out. Measure it from the bottom with a ruler. As long as the ATF level is between 40-60 mm, you will be ok.

Last edited by steak59; 05-16-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
thegogetter222

Wow, thanks guys! When i searched this model number on amazon, they through a big o' red flag at me saying it doesn't fit my 2012 G Caravan. I'm assuming its because its an oil dip stick and not a transmission dip stick... whatever I guess.

Anyway, I don't even know where the heck the transmission fluid tube is!!! Where should I be looking? thanks again guys!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, are you guys saying that the 2012 GC comes with no tranny dipstick but a tube where you can stick a universal dipstick in? How does that prevent dirt, water, and other crap from getting into the tranny? Or is there a cap of some sort?

My '08 has a tranny dipstick.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM
tdidog
Professional

Question on this dipstick for those in the know: Is this the same dipstick as is used in a 2005 Sprinter van NAG1 transmission? I have one of those and am hoping I don't need to buy another dipstick.

Also, I didn't spend much time searching here, but I found the following information on another website:

Below is information on the transmission fluid, dipstick, etc. for a 2008 Town & Country / Grand Caravan with a 3.8L engine:

Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - 62TE/Special Tools

Miller Tools:
Tool Number 9336A
Tool Name DIPSTICK
Description This special Dip Stick must be used to ensure of proper Automatic Transmission Fluid Levels in LX & WK vehicles equipped with the NAG1 Transmission. Also works on the 42RLE Transaxle in LX Vehicles equipped with a 3.5 Liter Engine. NOTE: Consult your Service Manual for the proper fluid level checking procedures. 2005 thru Current Also see 8863B for Sprinter & Crossfire vehicles.

Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - 62TE/FLUID/Standard Procedure for Fluid Level Check
1.Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.

WARNING: There is a risk of accident from vehicle starting off by itself when engine is running. There is a risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is started or when it is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving off by itself. Wear properly fastened and close-fitting work clothes. Do not touch hot or rotating parts.

3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling.

NOTE: When inserting dipstick special tool 9336A , excess insertion force may cause the dipstick to slip past the stop on the bracket in the transmission oil pan. An approximate distance that the dipstick sould be inserted into the fill tube is 424 mm (16.69 in.).
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Oil Dipstick 9336A into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.

NOTE: The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed.
6. Check transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.
7. The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336A has indicator marks every 10 mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) as viewed with the scan too, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.

FLUID CONDITION
Along with fluid level, it is important to check the condition of the fluid. When the fluid smells burned, and is contaminated with metal or friction material particles, a complete transaxle recondition is probably required. Be sure to examine the fluid on the dipstick closely. If there is any doubt about its condition, drain out a sample for a double check.

MOPARŽ ATF+4 (Automatic Transmission Fluid) when new is red in color. The ATF is dyed red so it can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition. As the vehicle is driven, the ATF will begin to look darker in color and may eventually become brown. This is normal. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. Consequently, odor and color cannot be used to indicate the fluid condition or the need for a fluid change.

After the fluid has been checked, seat the dipstick fully to seal out water and dirt.

The planetary gear train for the 62TE transaxle provides six forward gear ratios, including two fourth gear ratios. One reverse gear ratio is also provided.

Underdrive (UD) Compounder Assembly
Low Clutch (LC)
Direct Clutch (DC)
Overrunning Clutch (ORC)
Planetary gear set

Fore-Mounted Valve Body/Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly
DC solenoid
LC solenoid
DC pressure switch
LC pressure switch
Torque Converter Clutch (TC) and pressure control Solenoids
Line Pressure Sensor (LPS)
An additional (third) speed sensor
A “squashed,” or flatter, torque converter
A flatter oil pump
A new cover for valve body access
23-way connector for the Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly
Redesigned transfer gears with an oil scavenger
A remote pinion gear
A 2-piece, closed differential case with structural clamshell housing.
The addition of the underdrive compounder assembly components improves low-end torque multiplication, enhancing low-end power capability.

TRANSAXLE IDENTIFICATION

The 62TE transaxle is identified by a barcode label that is fixed to the transaxle or the “PK” number..

The label contains a series of digits that can be translated into useful information such as transaxle part number, date of manufacture, manufacturing origin, plant shift number, build sequence number, etc. Refer to for identification label breakdown.

If the tag is not legible or missing, the “PK” number, which is stamped into the transaxle case behind the transfer gear cover, can be referred to for identification. This number differs slightly in that it contains the entire transaxle part number, rather than the last three digits.

BUt that is for a 2008 six speed and I don't know if it's different for the 2011.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sprinter dipstick is a different part number, not the same as the vans. You could get a 4 speed trans with the '08 van, has a trans dipstick. All the 6 speed trans vans use the same dipstick you listed, 9336A

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 caravan transmission fluid check