3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Diablo in tune vs. Hypertech

Old 05-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo in tune vs. Hypertech

OK so enough is enough. We know the pros and the cons of both and recently it seems the Hypertech has a serious one with water and melting but they are producing gains and time will tell if the adaptives will diminish those gains. And currently there is no way to reset the adaptives with the Hypertech. It seems the average price is around $350 for this unit which is less than the Diablo in tune $400. The Hypertech unit is series plug and play and has no options to make any parameter adjustments or get a CMR. It was also the first on the market and is by far the most popular.

Now the Diablo had some issues with key cycles which were resolved once instructed to use the key fob. Also the "lights on the dash" issue which is caused when one completely disables the traction control, which also in turn takes away the ABS, which is why the lights were or still are coming on. IMO it's stupid to turn it all the way off and I have never done it with either of my Hemis. This unit is plugged into the OBD port and "flashes" the CPU with a new map. Some say that this leaves a "footprint" but the pros say no. This seems to be up to the person and the dealer and so far no stories of anyone having an issue with a dealer. This unit has many parameters that can be adjusted ie; tire size, shift points, raised rev limits, MDS, traction control among others. It also has the ability to have a custom tune that is unique to your ride and will produce the most gains for every ride is different. Also the adaptives can be reset to get that "new drive" pep back in the ride. This unit can also be used to read and clear "check engine" lights.

Another fact is that with both of these units the tunes are going to be on the safe side to avoid blowing up motors. This is where a CMR is a far superior way to go due to the fact you will be seeing what is going on with timing, detonation, voltage, etc. This is where the real gains are made and that is a fact. Now we could go on and on with the differences between the two units but lets get down to brass tacks folks! I want to see some legal track racing between our D3's with similar mods but different tuners Diablo vs Hypertech. Diablo has proven time and time again to produce more power and I will put my money where my mouth is here in the NW. So who else out there is going to quit bashing the other unit, stop comparing dyno results and get some real results on the track? Start setting these races up! Put up or shut up!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Some good info here, I am not a big fan of messing under the hood with mods, although my Volant comes in next week, will be my first mod under the hood. But between some of the Hypertech stories and the diablo disabling sh%t, both make me nervous. But I guess its like anything you buy, nothing is fool proof but doenst necessarily mean its uselss as it fails every so often. But for now I will stick with the CAI and see does that give me that extra little pep I was looking for, or will I need to bite the bullet on a tuner. My biggest thing is if some sh%t goes wrong and having to listen to the D bags at the dealership blaming the mods.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Fintan
I Agree. I do have the Volant and the Hypertech. I am giving the Hypertech a try and it works great. As for how long it will work who knows. I guess my only fear is will it damage anything else in the car? From what I have seen if the unit fails you remove and put your ride back to stock, clear codes if any and all is well.
Since I have modded to a more extreme level my 2 past rides I have been thru the custom programs that failed and the canned tunes that did nothing long term route. I wont go as far as I did mechanically with this ride as I did the others.
But as you stated to have to have a conversation or a disagreement with a parts changer at the dealership is insane.
I really think my last mod will be WHEELS that way I can be as cool as the rest of you!
STEVE

Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

I really think my last mod will be WHEELS that way I can be as cool as the rest of you!
STEVE[/QUOTE]

Almost, your D is white and not black, but you will be close to my coolness

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ehhh your post reads like a diablosport testimonial, which is fine since thats what you have but diablosport hasnt proven to be any better to this point to anyone except those who own it and therefore say its the best option. Which can also be said for the guys running the hypertech as we all tend to endorse what we personally run. I have yet to buy either as I havent had the funds lately to throw at my rig but as you so eliquently have pointed out in a few threads we had the water damaged hypertech incident which certainly raises questions and now you have finally mentioned the fact that diablosport has bugs and has set off dash lights for more than a few guys. We also have had MJNewman and SSRT speaks to the benefits of increased mpg's and better track times with the hypertech as well as budoboy chiming in that the diablosport has helped his times at the track but that he saw ZERO gains with a custom tune over their own canned tune. So bottomline to this point is there's no proof to me either way.. so everyone should enjoy their truck as they see fit and if you believe in what you spent your money on thats all that matters! I too would love to see a side by side race as well on similarly modded rigs!!

Last edited by CMil527; 05-17-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by CMil527
Ehhh your post reads like a diablosport testimonial, which is fine since thats what you have but diablosport hasnt proven to be any better to this point to anyone except those who own it and therefore say its the best option. Which can also be said for the guys running the hypertech as we all tend to endorse what we personally run. I have yet to buy either as I havent had the funds lately to throw at my rig but as you so eliquently have pointed out in a few threads we had the water damaged hypertech incident which certainly raises questions and now you have finally mentioned the fact that diablosport has bugs and has set off dash lights for more than a few guys. We also have had MJNewman and SSRT speaks to the benefits of increased mpg's and better track times with the hypertech as well as budoboy chiming in that the diablosport has helped his times at the track but that he saw ZERO gains with a custom tune over their own canned tune. So bottomline to this point is there's no proof to me either way.. so everyone should enjoy their truck as they see fit and if you believe in what you spent your money on thats all that matters! I too would love to see a side by side race as well on similarly modded rigs!!
Ya I'm biased but I have had Hypertech in two other Dodge rigs and that is why I'm now a fan of the Diablo. It just seems that when ever you Hypertech guys get a chance you like to brag your the fastest and it's the best so prove it....hit the tracks! And don't hate the player my friend....your ride is pretty modded too!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Also I believe Budoboy had a CMR for 87 or 89 only not 92 or 93. Your not going to see good gains with a CMR until you start pushing higher octane fuel for fear of detonation. The more stable the fuel the more you can push the tune. I was able to spend some quality time with a great tuner for a Subaru I used to have and it was really informative to learn about different fuel grades and detonation.

Last edited by Hemibuck; 05-17-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohhh i'm not hating at all and you can certainly post up and gush about any mod you see fit that wasnt my point at all, I'm just saying I havent seen any proof to date that one is making any more/less power than the other!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Fullslp
Captain

I love the fact that all the guys running on this site spew there "copy and paste" website testimonials. Then in the same paragraph claim that the only reliable source ( dynamometer) to test there product is useless. So far hypertech has SHOWN AN INCREASE IN HP ( mjnewman) on a 3rd gen Durango and DIABLO HAS NOT. I think we should run rigs but at this point the score is.............................. -Interceptor 1- diablo 0-

What are you diablo guys afraid of? Environment changes on the dyno in back to back tests have shown less than + or - 3% difference. (worked at shop with dyno) Heck run your diablo first then run it stock on heat soaked motor. Who cares, but you'll show the gains on your ride. Canned tune or not the 1/4 mile times reported are less....................than impressive.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Well since I can't get an in tune for my 13 D
I am gonna stick with my Melting box/getting wet, Hypertech Hype box of fun.
And for the record I am not racing anyone...racing 5000lb + SUV's seems futile and silly.
STEVE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diablo in tune vs. Hypertech