3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Going to get rid of Ginger...

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to get rid of Ginger...

Hey yall, well I think I'm finally going to get rid of my truck. No problems or anything I just want a new toy. I'm thinking of something a lil older. I wana know what kind of trucks yall recommend. I'm interested in 1st gen rams, ramchargers, and regular cab 2nd gens. If yall know much about these please let me know I'd also like to know which ones and which engines are more likely to hold up as a daily driver. I'm open to chevys and other stuff too but I prefer dodge.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll trade you your truck straight up for my 93' Club Cab Long Box 4x4 Power Ram

The problem with the 1st gen rams (at least around here) is that if you can find one that is in decent shape, you can get a truck in comparable condition 10 years newer for the same price.

Regular cab second gens are a dime a dozen. EASY to get a deal on one. Cheap too...

Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

2nd gens in Texas will either be expensive or a piece of ****. Just going from experience here.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM
2008dodgeram1500
Professional

i like your truck

Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Problem with a 2nd Gen as a DD is the transmission, they weren't that great to start with and getting one over 10 years old is gonna be a HUGE crap shoot. Engines are tanks, trannies in 2nd Gens leave a LOT to be desired.

My opinion, beat the hell out of what you got, it'll take it. Trust me, LOL...

Old 05-22-2013, 07:38 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Transmission problems in 2nd gens are solved with a MegaViper.

EVERY.
DAMN.
TIME.

Without fail.

Either way, you're going to have problems and likely right now you won't have to fix a previous owner's crap.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Trust me the old stuff is cool, not everybody has it, but the new trucks are SO much nicer. You'll miss your rig, which is a sharp ride by the way. My 93' Power Ram is done up about as good as one can do, but after driving it for awhile and then I hop in my 08' its a night and day difference. Better in EVERY way. If your hell bent on something older, though I may catch hell for saying this I'd try to find a 96' - 99' GM truck with the 5.7 vortec. They had that motor tuned to perfection when they redid t in 96 then decided to quit making it. Typical GM.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jnellydodge
Trust me the old stuff is cool, not everybody has it, but the new trucks are SO much nicer. You'll miss your rig, which is a sharp ride by the way. My 93' Power Ram is done up about as good as one can do, but after driving it for awhile and then I hop in my 08' its a night and day difference. Better in EVERY way. If your hell bent on something older, though I may catch hell for saying this I'd try to find a 96' - 99' GM truck with the 5.7 vortec. They had that motor tuned to perfection when they redid t in 96 then decided to quit making it. Typical GM.
It's funny that you recommend that because my buddy/roommate has a 98 GMC C/K 1500 with the 5.7 and its still running well even though he got it second hand and the previous owner put a car battery in it which he drove on for like 3 years before he was having issues with it. But that engine is tough I will agree with you on that. 15 years old and still going strong

Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Yea as far as the powertrain they were pretty solid. Well built and fairly comfortable for the time. Peppy trucks for what they were too. I also had a buddy, (actually almost all my friends in high school had chevy trucks, I was the oddball with the dodge) an they got the **** beat out of them and never skipped a beat. However they all had stupid little electrical issues that GM always has had with their vehicles. I guess I had to put a trans in my then 98' ram, so I couldn't talk too much smack.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

I just hate all the computer crap newer stuff has plus I would like a solid front axle. I love this truck but idk I wana change things up kinda. My truck is messed up right now (dumb electrical stuff) and I gotta get that worked out first. I totally forgot to mention, if I get a 2nd gen it will be a cummins

Last edited by gHEMImorePower; 05-22-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Search this Thread