Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Scott.sarina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting

I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey brand new in March of 2009 from Schlossmann's Dodge City of Milwaukee 19100 W Capitol Dr, Brookfield, WI. In the last 12 months, periodically, I have had an issue when I try to start my vehicle it will make a short clicking noise and not turn over. At first, it would crank over after a click or two, but now it happens more often and I have been stranded more than 47 times in the last 12 months. The windows, radio and AC work after you get the click but does not start. I took it to the mechanic to address this issue in December of 2012, the mechanic notified me that I needed to replace my battery which I did. I opted for a high quality top of the line, higher performance battery that could withhold extremely low temperatures, just a few weeks after my battery was replaced I experienced the exact same issue. My car would not start.! I took my car in for additional maintenance the following week, they ran tests on the starter, wires and battery all day and could not duplicate the problem. I have experienced this failure repeatedly and discovered that as long as I switch my gear to neutral the car can be started. Friday May 24th 2013 my car began to demonstrate signs of overheating. I had my car towed to Dallas Dodge Chrysler Jeep at 11550 Lyndon B Johnson Fwy in Dallas Texas, my car remained in their care for 4days only for them to tell me they also could not duplicate the problem. I drove from the dealership only to experience the same issue within an hour of departing. I contacted Chrysler to see if there was a recall that I was not aware of, they said there was not. I went online to see if I could find any information on how to fix this problem and to my surprise I came across more than 500 different consumer complaints that spoke of the EXACT issue with their 2009 Dodge Journey or similar vehicle. This is absurd. Clearly there have been more than several issues with the Dodge Journey's not cranking over. I am tired of dealing with this issue, i just want to get it fixed.

IF YOU ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUES PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY SAFETY ADMINISTRATION. THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT DODGE WILL WORK WITH FOR THE RECALLS. PLEASE CALL THEM IF YOU ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE! THEY HAVE TO HELP THERE CUSTOMERS WITH THIS ISSUE AND NOT CONTINUE TO IGNORE IT. IM TIRED OF HEARING "UNFORTUNATELY THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT" or "WE CANT DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM" from Dodge and Chrysler representatives.

1(888)327-4236

http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa-dpmextn/j...mail_nhtsa.jsp

YOU WILL NEED YOUR VIN # TO REPORT!

I would like Dodge/Chrysler to acknowledge that there is an extreme issue with this make/model vehicle. There are hundreds if not thousands of consumers reporting the exact same issues via the Internet. There needs to be a recall on this product.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM
montoya13
Amateur

I had the same problem this winter with my 2009 Journey, and luckily when I took it to my garage, we were able to duplicate the problem! So the mecanic tried a few things and he clearly pointed out the Starter as the problem. He installed a new one and never had a problem since... Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Scott.sarina

Originally Posted by montoya13
I had the same problem this winter with my 2009 Journey, and luckily when I took it to my garage, we were able to duplicate the problem! So the mecanic tried a few things and he clearly pointed out the Starter as the problem. He installed a new one and never had a problem since... Hope this helps.
Thank you so much montoya13 for your response. I have been told that my starter was fine and that wasn't the issue, I wanted to avoid spending unnecessary money like other consumers have reported doing in order to find a solution to this problem but I'm going to try the new starter and hope for the best, maybe I will get lucky like you did. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott.sarina
Thank you so much montoya13 for your response. I have been told that my starter was fine and that wasn't the issue, I wanted to avoid spending unnecessary money like other consumers have reported doing in order to find a solution to this problem but I'm going to try the new starter and hope for the best, maybe I will get lucky like you did. Fingers crossed.
is it a V6? if so, your probably is most likely the Trans Range Senor. Covered under powertrain warranty if you have it.
if you got a 4 cylinder, then the problem would most likely be the Starting connector.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM
montoya13
Amateur

Actually, my mecanic told me it would have been almost impossible to find out that the starter was the problem because it was working like 80 % of the times, and I was lucky to have the exact problem when I brought the car to him!

He just knocked the starter with a rod and asked me to try to start the journey, and it worked. Then he hit it again and I couldn't start the car anymore and we did this like 10 times and it kept going the same pattern. So he put in a brand new starter with a lifetime warranty, it's been 6 months now and never had the issue again.

I have a 2009 SE Plus, the basic 2.4L

Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 AM
glock9mm69
Default 2009 Dodge Journey

Me and My Husband decided to have 2009 Dodge Journey. When the time we bought this car it has 70k miles on it.
Our problem is the gear stuck park shift lock. Ken Garff dealer told us the Win Module was bad and it cost us $650. But after they changed it, the gear still stuck. They told us interlock mechanism needs to be replaced and this cost another $300. They said the interlock mechanism is not bad, just need to be cleaned, they saw a sticky liquid spilled on the interlock mechanism that cause the interlock stuck.
Is there anybody out there know how to remove the center console of 2009 Dodge Journey? I want to try to clean it so save up some money.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Scott.sarina

Thank you @montoya13. There has just been such overwhelming feedback about consumers who own a 2009 dodge journey or similar model who have replaced starters and are still experiencing the same problem. I was trying to avoid having to do that and was hoping that the issue would be investigated and dodge/Chrysler and the owners of these vehicles would be notified of a definite issue and solution to the problem. Wishful thinking,i haven't received that at this point so a new starter is worth a try.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Scott.sarina

Steak59 it is a v6. I will give my mechanic this information, thank you so much.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Scott.sarina

Glock9mm69 interesting, I will give this information to my mechanic as well. I'm willing to try anything at the point.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by glock9mm69
Me and My Husband decided to have 2009 Dodge Journey. When the time we bought this car it has 70k miles on it.
Our problem is the gear stuck park shift lock. Ken Garff dealer told us the Win Module was bad and it cost us $650. But after they changed it, the gear still stuck. They told us interlock mechanism needs to be replaced and this cost another $300. They said the interlock mechanism is not bad, just need to be cleaned, they saw a sticky liquid spilled on the interlock mechanism that cause the interlock stuck.
Is there anybody out there know how to remove the center console of 2009 Dodge Journey? I want to try to clean it so save up some money.

Thanks
I had an opposite experience. I replaced a Shifter, and it didn't fix it. The problem was the WIN Module.

To confirm what's causing your no start. Just try start it in Neutral. If it starts in Neutral but not Park, your problem is 100% the Range sensor in the trans.

Quick Reply: Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting