Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: Should SRT build a lower cost, lower performance Viper to battle the base Corvette?
Yes, a $55,000 Hemi powered Viper is needed.
20.00%
No, the Viper is an exclusive supercar and should remain that way!
80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Should SRT build a lower cost, lower performance Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question of the Week: Should SRT build a lower cost, lower performance Viper?

It is often talked about but should the Chrysler Group have SRT build a lower cost, lower performance Viper to battle the base Corvette?

Click here to look at the pros and cons of a Hemi powered, $55,000 Mopar 2-seat sports car.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:15 PM
gr8_rides
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Viper make a base model to compete against the vette

My personal view is that the viper is way above the vette, more classified against the names of super cars.

The appreciation of the car is much greater then the corvette's..

Therefore he car should be kept the way it is and should be for the real buyers and drivers.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, thats what the challenger/charger is for. I like the rare nature of the Viper, makes it waaay more exciting to see when ya do!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless they did a fair amount of work to make a Hemi powered Viper far superior from the Charger and Challenger I don't see the point in it...

Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM
dlyter09
Champion

leave the viper up there to play with the big boy super cars.. Take a challenger and put your work and time into making that a vette player..

Old 06-19-2013, 01:13 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they should lighten the Chally so it can play with the Vettes better.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

No. Well, yes. What I mean is, there is no reason for the Viper to be $100k+, nor should a new pickup cost $60k, nor should a Challenger RT be $35-40k. On that front, I'd love a $55k Viper, which would mean a $20k Challenger SRT8. That would be awesome!

The Viper is the measuring stick for the Corvette (so much so, that GM recently unveiled their 2014 Viper Stingray..); when it can beat the Viper, it's a big deal.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't need a lesser viper. They need a vast de-blubbering of their current offerings. The challenger is too slow and cheap to play with the vette, and too fat to toy with the mustang. I've also wondered why they haven't offered a smaller v8 like the 4.7. Maybe there are no advantages to the 4.7 except for saving a pocketful of per unit cost, and a few ounces of weight.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
BlazeThall
Default less is never good!

When cutting costs of a machine like this parts become cheap and inefficient. It may cost less at first and parts maybe cheap, but that is key cheap parts more time and money in shop. When u take a perfectly good car and change it fails to come again.... no offense look what happen to the falcon..they did mod changes and reduced the horse power and then it drifted off to the way side.... if they would put the new big horn hemi in a redesigned falcon now that would bring it back....

Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
They don't need a lesser viper. They need a vast de-blubbering of their current offerings. The challenger is too slow and cheap to play with the vette, and too fat to toy with the mustang. I've also wondered why they haven't offered a smaller v8 like the 4.7. Maybe there are no advantages to the 4.7 except for saving a pocketful of per unit cost, and a few ounces of weight.
There are rumors of a Pentastar based V8 that will be around 4.8L, also a smaller v6.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Should SRT build a lower cost, lower performance Viper?