4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires?

I am sick of getting flats on these Goodyear tires! Can anyone recommend a decent tire for these trucks? I just need something that can handle the occasional dirt/gravel road. Something that is a good "bang for the buck" will surely be better than these - the treads are so soft a single piece of gravel can pierce right through them! F#$king garbage!

Thanks

Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM
mike2810
Captain

Michelin LTX MS2.

I replaced my goodyear with these. I drive more paved than off road. Most off pavement is decent dirt roads. They have been great so far.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been happy with my firestone Destination AT (17's) Only bad thing I have to say about them is that the treadwear isn't as good as they advertise. After 35-40K miles and they are ready for replacement. The Goodyear SR/A that came stock on my truck was a better tire in terms of wear, but didn't have as good a traction.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 AM
LU229
Banned

I`m running BFGoodrich here, they are a far better tire than the OEM 20inch HP badyear`s my truck came with. If you`re putting rocks thru your tires and getting flat tires all the time from driving on gravel/dirt roads, maybe you better step to a 6, 8, or a 10 ply tire. BUT, be very aware, the higher the ply`s, the smooth ride goes away. A more aggressive tread will also lower your MPG`s as well.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

That's the funny thing - I haven't been doing much driving on gravel roads. Just the occasional short stretch or street repair. I've had 3 flats in the last 2 months: first was on pavement, second was indeed on a dirt road (and I should have put her in 4x4 to avoid rear tire spinning) and the latest wast a short section (20 or 30 feet) of gravel where a culvert was getting replaced. I have to admith that maybe I am partly to blame - i regularly have about 36 to 37 psi (cold) in these tires and I guess that could get up to 39 or 40 (these tires are only rated for 44 psi cold max). But then my other truck (2003 Ram) which had the stock Goodyears was at that pressure also and I never had any flats.

I've heard good things about the Michelins so maybe I will check them out. I know the BF Goodricch TA's are great tires but a less aggressive tread is what I am looking for.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
jawsdc
Veteran

check out BFG Rugged Terrain T/A. I had half a dozen or more flats fixed and replaced 2 tires with the Goodyears.
30K on the BFG and no issues. Good intermediate tire if you do any off road stuff (ranch, caliche roads mostly for me with occasional pasture).

Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

The Rugged Terrains look like a decent tire although I seen a nice few negative comments re tread wear. Anyone have any experience with the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus? Comments seem to be consistently positive or the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo 2?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running Cooper Discoverer ATRs and am happy with the off-road performance but they are not great on wet pavement. Treadwear is about 30-40% after 19,000 miles but they are guaranteed for 50K miles. I had the front end aligned when I put them on and they are wearing even.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
jawsdc
Veteran

Originally Posted by glenn.d.smith
The Rugged Terrains look like a decent tire although I seen a nice few negative comments re tread wear. Anyone have any experience with the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus? Comments seem to be consistently positive or the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo 2?
i will tell you that i have not been impressed with the tread-wear either but they come with a 65K P/R warranty so you should be good.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by jawsdc
i will tell you that i have not been impressed with the tread-wear either but they come with a 65K P/R warranty so you should be good.
Except that with most tires you have to run them down to 2/32 before you can make a claim on the P/R warranty. So you are driving them in an unusable state for quite a while. Mine have 4/32 and need to be replaced soon, not going to let them go to 2/32 so that I can get a couple bucks from firestone and have no traction in the mean time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires?