3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Shave OEM Air Intake like a CAI Tube?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:25 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shave OEM Air Intake like a CAI Tube?

I will probably end up getting some tubing, but looking at the OEM Intake I was curious if I could just shave it down to just the tube itself...main question tho is what is the purpose of the port on the inside (see pic #2)???

735871A1-F772-45C7-95AF-6621A6AE8CB7-2190-00000143C4346F62.jpg

Purpose of this port?

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

CAD14495-A4D8-49A9-9CA2-71AF731D8303-2190-00000143CA3C439F.jpg

Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That porthole is strictly a resonator. It creates a whistle effect that cancels out the audible frequency of the air that's rushing in the air box and airhat. You can shave that and cap up that porthole as long as you can make it airtight. It would essentially be the same as the k&n tube only kit. There are actually 2 portholes, or resonators, in that air hat. The other is closer to the throttle body.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Originally Posted by FrenicX
That porthole is strictly a resonator. It creates a whistle effect that cancels out the audible frequency of the air that's rushing in the air box and airhat. You can shave that and cap up that porthole as long as you can make it airtight. It would essentially be the same as the k&n tube only kit. There are actually 2 portholes, or resonators, in that air hat. The other is closer to the throttle body.
Gotcha! Thanks for the input...gonna price out a couple "Tube Only" kits and if they are cheap enough I might go that route...don't wanna waste the time messing with this one if I don't have to...PLUS...

Looking for ideas on what to do with my Intake Manifold itself to clean it up, dress it up, painting ideas, etc...so feel free to give some input if you have anything worth trying!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a 3 inch street elbow and replaced it. Works like a champ.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Originally Posted by cheeseburger
I used a 3 inch street elbow and replaced it. Works like a champ.
Thanks Burger...I figured I would do a little fab work on my own anyway...I guess I'll shop for some inexpensive Chrome Tubing...3" 's you say? I'll see what I can find. I've seen a ton of cheap universal kits on eBay for like $30...I have my doubts. Also seen Universal kits from both Spectre and Air Raid for about $100...the debate continues...plus as far as cone filters...what to choose...AFE dry filter or K&N oiled...

Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 AM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it was 3" it was a while ago. i clamped it to the throttle body with a nice rubber hose connector.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Yeah, I was at Home Depot yesterday and found myself in the plumbing aisle and almost grabbed a bunch of tubing...but I figured I should probably get some kind of measurements at least lol

Old 07-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by italiandominator
Yeah, I was at Home Depot yesterday and found myself in the plumbing aisle and almost grabbed a bunch of tubing...but I figured I should probably get some kind of measurements at least lol
A 3" tube & associated elbows would work - much better than the "accordion" style OEM tube. The effective diameter of the OEM tube I would guess to be 2" or less because of all the vortexes generated around that accordion flex. I've used ABS plumbing for this. The disadvantage is the thickness of the tube makes it difficult to bend smoothly, so I was forced into using the elbows and connectors as well. You can get the rubber adapters that go from 3" to whatever you need at the other end - I used a 3 to 2.5 for my jeep (I've posted a few pics on this & the jeep forums if you'd like to have a look.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Originally Posted by Alfons
A 3" tube & associated elbows would work - much better than the "accordion" style OEM tube. The effective diameter of the OEM tube I would guess to be 2" or less because of all the vortexes generated around that accordion flex. I've used ABS plumbing for this. The disadvantage is the thickness of the tube makes it difficult to bend smoothly, so I was forced into using the elbows and connectors as well. You can get the rubber adapters that go from 3" to whatever you need at the other end - I used a 3 to 2.5 for my jeep (I've posted a few pics on this & the jeep forums if you'd like to have a look.

Thanks bro! I'm headed out shopping in a few minutes. Wanna pick up some tubes and go ahead and make this thing. I got an AFE filter in the resonator box now. Might go with a cone later on, but for now I'm gonna mess around with the stock box and some tubing to see if I can redneck together something better than stock.

ABS Plumbing tubing you say? I'll try to look for it. Of course as always I have a query... Obviously the point of a CAI is to get air that is cool as possible to go into the engine. I hear a lot that plastic may not look as pretty as chrome, but it definitely resists heat a bit better (other than price, it's part of the reason I wanna go that way). On top of that, if you really wanna get cooler air to the engine, you should run tubing of some sort out of the box to the front of the vehicle. But I'm wondering...would it be worth it to not only use plastic tubing, but wrap it in some kind of thermal barrier, fiberglass over top, and then sand and paint for a smooth finish, in order to help keep the air as cool as possible?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM
italiandominator
All Star

You think this is legit?

Even though the ad lists it in 12"x12" sheets, I contacted him and he said he could do a single sheet big enough to cover the whole under side of the hood. Also, mentioned that he has 3 diff thicknesses (6mm = $35 , 10mm = $44 , & 13mm = $53 ...shipping $5.13 )

With an adhesive backing, you think it could work nicely to wrap a CAI tube and then wrap in a single layer of Fiberglass (just to have a rigid surface to paint)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171046652163...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shave OEM Air Intake like a CAI Tube?