Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Top 5 Reasons the Ram is Better than the Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 PM
DodgeForum Editor
DF Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top 5 Reasons the Ram is Better than the Tundra

BadStratRT has just articulated what you know you've been thinking! Did he leave anything out?

https://dodgeforum.com/articles/2011...dfdec11-1.html

Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Shelbyfan
Professional

I have used both the Tundra and the Ram. As a work vehicle the Tundra is limited, bad MPG for what you get, all of the big three are better and have better options. The Ram will outperform it on every type of toughness level, as will the ford and chevy.

but that article has inaccuracies. Toyota has been making pickups for DECADES, not just since the 90's and if anyone thinks that toyota can't make a will built pickup that lasts for ever they are mistaken. 9HP and 6LB tq is negligible at best, I know it is a sales pitch, but I bet if you took ten Rams and ten Tundras, put them on the same dyno you would get varying numbers, some that are more and some less. Comparing a HD 3/4t cummins to a 1/2t gas for towing is another sales pitch, the Cummins Ram must suck because it can't tow what a F650 can, different leagues.

I am a Dodge honk, always have been, but I also am immune to sales pitches.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Johnny2Bad
Professional

I agree with ShelbyFan ... the Tundra isn't my first, or even second choice for a new truck, but it would be pencilled in at third if I were buying a 1/2 ton today (of course, I'm not, so there is no "closer look" to nail down whether it would remain ranked there. Plus, I'd be looking at 3/4 tons as well).

I know two Toyota truck owners, and their trucks, quite well. The first bought a Tacoma 4WD new in 1997 and it's still going strong. He's had almost zero issues with it ... probably needs 02 sensors right now, for example ... but nothing has broken and it still does the job every day. He's driven it extensively on some very rough unpaved road, the city, the highway, and I've driven it myself a few times. I'd say it's a decent truck that has had fewer issues than guys I know with Dakotas of the same era have had. For the record, if I were buying a 1/4 ton used today, those two are the only ones I would be looking at. I owned a Ranger ... the early 90's 1/4 ton model ... and I wouldn't recommend one to anyone I actually liked.

Another guy I work with has a Tundra ... probably about 4 years old now ... and he loves his. The jobsite has plenty of Dodges, some GM/Chevy, one Ford, plus the company truck is an F250. The guy is a gearhead ... owns big-engine snowmobiles that he drives like he's still in High School, two late 60's Olds 442's, one a ragtop, his best friend has a 6-71 blown big-block 60's GMC and is a professional mechanic, and for fun is an award winning custom Harley builder, maybe 4 bikes a year that sell in the 30~50K range after he shows them. Neither has anything bad to say about the Tundra.

I don't think it would get me to pull out my wallet but it's not as cut-and-dried as the review implies. It's a decent truck that beats the Nissan hands down, and competes against the big three well enough to be worth a look if you were shopping. Reliability is an issue with me and the Toyota would win points there for sure in my opinion. The rest is up to the individual buyer and his needs.

Now, in all fairness, the review was a bit lightweight and tongue-in-cheek, so I don't see any reason to get all worked up about it ... it is what it is. He hates the look more than I do, but I agree it's not a style king. The interior is better executed than the outside, though. It was a fun read.

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 02-27-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shelbyfan
I have used both the Tundra and the Ram. As a work vehicle the Tundra is limited, bad MPG for what you get, all of the big three are better and have better options. The Ram will outperform it on every type of toughness level, as will the ford and chevy.

but that article has inaccuracies. Toyota has been making pickups for DECADES, not just since the 90's and if anyone thinks that toyota can't make a will built pickup that lasts for ever they are mistaken. 9HP and 6LB tq is negligible at best, I know it is a sales pitch, but I bet if you took ten Rams and ten Tundras, put them on the same dyno you would get varying numbers, some that are more and some less. Comparing a HD 3/4t cummins to a 1/2t gas for towing is another sales pitch, the Cummins Ram must suck because it can't tow what a F650 can, different leagues.

I am a Dodge honk, always have been, but I also am immune to sales pitches.
Great points. That article is for all intensive purposes a joke. Innacuracies aside, the comment that a Ram has more HP and Torque then a Tundra is laughable. Single digit differences, really? Not even worth bringing up.

And the other stupid comment was "Reason #2". That a Toyota owner has to go to a Dodge, Chevy or Ford dealer when he needs to two something his Tundra cannot. Yeah, and so does a Ram 1500 owner as well!. What kind of ignorant sales pitch is that?

Advertisers more and more seem to think that the vast majority of the public is STUPID.

I am on my second Ram and third Chrysler product. I love them all. And my next truck will likley be a Ram as well. But having dealt with plenty of Dodge dealers and knowing plenty of Toyota owners (Tons of freinds with Toyota's), Toyota makes a much more reliable truck and has better customer care at their dealers. I bring my Ram in for $700 worth of service, i get it back just as dirty as it went in. My sister brings her economy Toyota in for an oil change and they wash the outside and vacum the interior. Not a single Dodge dealer within 50 miles of me has loaner car service. EVERY Toyota dealer within 50 miles does. My 06' Ram with 100k+ miles on it (and never been off road with it) squeaks and rattles on a bumpy road. My Buddies 05' Tundra with just over 150k is dead quiet.

Both Dodge and Toyota make great trucks. Buy the one you like. But ignore the BS sales pitches.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Doc_63

I have a 2001 2500 V10 4X4. My wife has a 2012 Tundra Crew Max TRD Rock Warrior. We each love our trucks and trust me...that Tundra is a sweet ride. I love my Dodge though. She's my boat and 5th wheel hauler and has never let me down.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 PM
3dubs
Rookie

At least here in Texas they all have a sticker on the back window that says, "Toyota Tundra: Born in Texas, Built by Texans." That really ticks me off. My relatives have lived in Texas since before it was Texas. People say I am rough around the edges. I say I come from rough stock. Well then the Toyota is just another transplant that came here after things became hospitable. They seem to do alright on the roads but when it gets down and dirty they just can't hang. It just is not from rough stock. How many Toyotas do you see covered in mud and dirt? How many Toyotas have sweat stained seats? I guess my wife could drive one. But when I drive her car I can't wear my cowboy hat because it just ain't right. Well I could not wear my hat in a Toyota either because it just ain't right. Toyota Tundra: Born in Texas, Built by Texans, But still NOT TEXAN!!! I know some tough yankess and even some tough Canadians. But I ain't never met a tough Toyota driver.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 PM
FL Mike 2500
Amateur

Just drove the new Dodge truck and gotta say I love it. Drove a V6 tundra and it was ok, but not really a 'me' kinda truck.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If toyota is offering enployment to people in Texas, employed Toyota workers can buy dodge rams, as for a loyalty card to define a preset level of toughness, dodge used dumb red necks in th first ram hemi adds.

Last edited by cyclone429; 02-15-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, cyclone, I don't need nary truck to try to prove how tough I am. My toughness will speak for itself when need be, even if I drive a Prius.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 PM
b.rad
Amateur

#6, no rusted frames.

Quick Reply: Top 5 Reasons the Ram is Better than the Tundra