2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge ram Overhead console swap problem

Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 PM
DJeXeCute
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge ram Overhead console swap problem

Hey I just pulled a Overhead console from a 99 ram today with the wiring, visors, and auto dimming mirror. I got everything hooked up other than one 3 prong connector. I plugged the new harness into the big connector but cannot find a spot for the small 3 wire one. Everything has power but the display on the overhead only reads CCd. Is this a relay I needed to grab of the junkyard ram? It's not the biggest deal I just got everything because the mirror on my visor broke loose and there was a hole in my headliner from one of my buddies using the old sunglasses holder overhead as a handle. Would be cool to get things to work though.
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg cab short bed 4x2 laramie with a 5.2l 318 auto trans and 49k orig miles.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

If the wires in that three pin are Dark blue/white trace, Violet/Black, and Black, that's for the Mirror. The wires are, respectively 12 volt switched ignition. (power) Backup lamp feed wire, (so it knows when you are backing up......), Black wire eventually gets to ground.

You may need the Central Timer Module out of the 99 to make everything else work. If you didn't have one initially, the current CTM in your truck doesn't tell the console anything. Thus, the CCd error.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Nice find! When you have a moment, can you possibly post a picture of the overhead console? I'd really like to see what it looks like installed in the truck.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 PM
DJeXeCute
Rookie

I had to trim a bit of the headliner to get it to fit and the latch for the sunglasses holder is broken but no biggie. I don't have it powered on in this pic but it doesn't matter it just says CCd. Also note the one visor has a 4x4 sticker lol my truck is a 4x2.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 PM
DJeXeCute
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the wires in that three pin are Dark blue/white trace, Violet/Black, and Black, that's for the Mirror. The wires are, respectively 12 volt switched ignition. (power) Backup lamp feed wire, (so it knows when you are backing up......), Black wire eventually gets to ground.

You may need the Central Timer Module out of the 99 to make everything else work. If you didn't have one initially, the current CTM in your truck doesn't tell the console anything. Thus, the CCd error.
There was allot more going on under the dash of the jy dodge (More wires relay boxes etc I could barely move my hands around in there). What all do I need to pull from the jy dodge to get everything working. I'm going back up this Tuesday and hopefully I'm going to finish what I started lol.

Somehow I feel like I'm going to be pulling a million wires for the two connector style ctm i need to replace my 1 connector base ctm.

Last edited by DJeXeCute; 07-21-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Thanks for the pictures!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think that 3 wire connector is for the base model overhead console. i would guess the wires are pink, yellow and black with light green stripe.

did everything just plug in?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 AM
DJeXeCute
Rookie

Yeah i ran the entire harness and it plugged in place of the old 3 wire lights only console I used to have. But there's an extra connection that was plugged in on the jy dodge that I can't find a spot for on my dodge. Everything including the Auto Dimming rear view mirror works It's just the overhead computer display that doesn't but I guess it's just the CTM. What I'm hopping is when I pull the ctm from the jy there isn't going to be a massive mound of wires to go with it.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

There was another thread around here somewhere where someone did this conversion.... Been a bit ago though..... might try and find that thread, and see what that person did.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM
DJeXeCute
Rookie

The three wires for that connector are white with a black stripe, purple, and black

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge ram Overhead console swap problem