1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ok so I think a lot is going to hate me but F it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:56 AM
rx7_dude2003
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok so I think a lot is going to hate me but F it!

So im swapping an intire drive train from a 2000 Chevy 3/4 ton pick up into my Dakota..picking up the whole truck for 1000 bux w not title n rough body. 6.0 vortec w a 4L80e trans n what ever tcase it has.. N mate a divorced 205 after that factory tcase.. (: going this route because I want power n quit honestly I like the LS engines makes easy power than the 318s or 360s

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

If your getting the whole truck for that, thats not a bad deal. plus it will be pretty fast in a Dak lol. Should make the swap a bit easier since you'll have the whole truck to pull parts from.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The 6.0L Vortec is a dog, poor performance, the 5.3 has more power than it, not to mention it is extremely bad on gas way worse then the Magnums. A 5.9 Magnum is way better in performance and MPG. If I would for a Vortec swap it would be the 5.3 great power and great MPG.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Boy o boy, are you in for it!

Just the wiring and electronics problems are gonna be a nightmare. Every connection is going to need to be decoded and adapted. You're gonna need to find some way around Passkey. Then there's the differences in the fuel system, having a custom exhaust fabricated, engine and transmission mounts (not to mention a relocated cross member, differences in lengths, differences in drive shafts.) And all have probably never been done, so you're completely on your own.

I don't know, I don't hate you, but wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to sell the Dakota and buy the truck you want? After all this work, you're gonna end up with a truck that nobody will want. Period. Any potential buyer in the future will take one look at this loony setup and run, not walk, for the exits.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM
rx7_dude2003
Professional

No way!! The only reason the 6.0s are dogs n crappy fuel is cause they were super leaned out from the factory.. U get em tuned even with em bone stock u gain way better economy n a lot more power.. I would cam it n do some other things right away including long tubed headers n such.. The mud truck would be unstoppable!!

Name:  20121030_170523.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  516.3 KB

Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
rx7_dude2003
Professional

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Boy o boy, are you in for it!

Just the wiring and electronics problems are gonna be a nightmare. Every connection is going to need to be decoded and adapted. You're gonna need to find some way around Passkey. Then there's the differences in the fuel system, having a custom exhaust fabricated, engine and transmission mounts (not to mention a relocated cross member, differences in lengths, differences in drive shafts.) And all have probably never been done, so you're completely on your own.

I don't know, I don't hate you, but wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to sell the Dakota and buy the truck you want? After all this work, you're gonna end up with a truck that nobody will want. Period. Any potential buyer in the future will take one look at this loony setup and run, not walk, for the exits.
Brian, this is my mud truck the only thing left that's stock is the engine and transmission.. I don't even have a stock tcase anymore.. So the engine n trans has to go I'm good with wiring, engine and trans mounts won't be an issue for me.. N thos trucks don't have pass keys n if they do all I have to do is get the PCM re programmed w out it.. And honestly I can't ever seeing my self ever selling it

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM
cd36
Professional

The 6.0L is about 300HP/360ft-lbs from what I could find, not that amazing from a 6.0L V8, but I'm guessing the torque curve is probably pretty flat.

It will be a pain to install though, you are putting a 3/4 Ton GM drivetrain into a midsize Dodge truck. All your engine/tranny mounts will need to be redone, plus the wiring harness will be much more difficult to swap over. That engine uses drive by wire I believe, so even your throttle cable won't be of any use, you'll need to swap in the GM pedal.

IMHO you would be further ahead swapping in an OBD I 5.9L Magnum and throwing in cam/headers with a MP PCM. It would just drop in with minimal rework as everything lines up. When you are going to that significant of a change, pretty much everything is going to need to be looked at and custom made.

You got the truck for $1000, but that doesn't count any custom mounts, brackets, driveshaft, etc. that you will need and your time it will take. This definately will not be considered "easy" power.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 PM
rx7_dude2003
Professional

These LS engines are swapped into EVERYTHING these days! It's doable in a weekend. Two custom engine mount brackets n custom transmission crossmember.. Big deal, that's the easy part. Wiring like I said isn't an issue I love wires! Like u said I can swap the gas pedal or buy an aftermarket mechanical throttle body.. Bigger fuel pump dual exhaust with headers.. Custom driveshafts which i have a buddy who can make me custom shafts For most likely 2 to 300 bux.. I've thought of all if this guys. After swap is done, it's way easier n cheaper to make power with the LS engine than the 360.. I'm going to do it regardless over winter. LS engines are actually really good engines for making power

Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Curious, your tag says our dak is a 93 V8, you keeping anything from the stock motor? specifically wire harness and top end of the motor, if your willing to part with those let me know its parts I need

Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM
rx7_dude2003
Professional

Ill be selling everything just the body is 93 the engine n bay/enging harness is a 92.. If ur still interested I'd sell as whole sorry

Quick Reply: Ok so I think a lot is going to hate me but F it!