2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slotted rotors

Are slotted rotors all what their cracked up to be... Better cooling and breaking?? I'm thinking bout getting them. My rotors are the solid ones and they keep warping within a yr I say.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 AM
RamIT1500X
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do alot of mudding dont get them, mud gets in the slots and reduces your braking. But if your like me that only hauls a dirt bike and some quads you should be fine. Plan on getting sime slotted rotors when my brakes need dine

Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 AM
GRed
Professional

No mudding just city driving. Does it help cooling and breaking

Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

You might want to look into WHY your rotors are warping. There is likely a reason behind it and you haven't mentioned whether or not you've attempted to fix the problem.
Have you also made sure your rear drums are adjusted properly and not sticking? I've seen on here folks with the same problem and the drums doing their part actually fixed the problem.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 AM
RamIT1500X
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slots in the rotors help the gases that builds up between the rotor and pad escape allowing for better braking.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i am with dodge dude on this. i think you should look into why they are warping. should not be able to warp a rotor in less than a year unless something is wrong. could

Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Agree ^^ Warping your rotors that fast counds like your rear brakes are not working at all.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Back in the good ol' days..... when brake pads were made of asbestos, and various other "hazardous" materials, when the pads got hot, (when you stepped on the brakes hard, or frequently....) they would 'out-gas', and you would lose breaking effectiveness. With todays pad materials, that is pretty much a non-issue for street-driven vehicles. (especially trucks....) The idea behind the slots, or cross-drilled rotors, was to give those gases a place to go, rather than between the pad, and rotor.... making brakes work better. Not really necessary today.

If your rotors are constantly warping, need to find out WHY. If they have been turned down below spec, they won't be very tolerant to heating..... if you have calipers sticking, that will warm them right up too.... rear brakes being out of adjustment will force the fronts to do more of the work, and that heats them up as well.

Time for a thorough brake inspection methinks.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GRed
Are slotted rotors all what their cracked up to be... Better cooling and breaking?? I'm thinking bout getting them. My rotors are the solid ones and they keep warping within a yr I say.
Cheap rotors will also have this problem. What have you been buying?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 PM
GRed
Professional

I have. Looked into this sooo much.. It's crazy...I have changed out the back new drums then turned them and new shoes and front as well even new calipers. But they continue to warp I say within a yrs time. I'm just thinking that this truck hard on them. But it seems when are you leaving? I first got this truck I did have any issue at all with them, until that first change over....I even went to ceramic instead of the semi metallic. I have posted this on this forum before and still I haven't figured it out. But I won't be getting the slotted ones just the solid ones. As far as the rotors I one got ones from napa, but started out with autozone.

Quick Reply: Slotted rotors