3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Want a '14? Don't Get the V6.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Crew Member
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a '14? Don't Get the V6.

Lots of complaints about the Grand Cherokee's new 8-speed when paired to the V6 at jeepgarage.org. A third of V6 owners polled don't like it. Some report rough shifting that gets worse over time even after updates / resets. Another 40% like it only when they manually turn the Eco mode off every time they start it up (at the expense of fuel economy).

V8 owners appear to like it in much larger numbers. Coincidence that the V8 tranny is built by ZF while the V6's is licensed and build by Chrysler?

It all reminds me of my current Focus' dual clutch transmission quirks.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-j...vey-63250.html

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/if-you...-up-62737.html

Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Goes back to buying a 1st year of anything-expect more issues if you do. I drove a 2014 JGC V-6/8 speed and although the ratios were nice for the V-6, it was a bit clunky on downshifts. There's a member here with a 2014 SRT and he says the V-8 with the 8 speed is wonderful. So, perhaps Chrysler needs to step up to ZF quality in their build.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Part of the reason for the delay in the release of the V* 8 speed combo I believe I heard was due to having ZF design the Trans based upon the chrysler design only better and able to handle the extra power.
STEVE

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Having ZF design a trans based off of Chryslers designs based off of ZF designs? Makes sense...

Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Imamad1
Rookie

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
Having ZF design a trans based off of Chryslers designs based off of ZF designs? Makes sense...
Just think, there are overpaid people to think this crap up......

Old 08-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Immo
Professional

The V6 and 8 speed have been paired up in the LX cars for a few years. This isn't a brand new combo.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by Immo
The V6 and 8 speed have been paired up in the LX cars for a few years. This isn't a brand new combo.
I understand those were zf built transmissions. The Grand Cherokee V6's 845RE is the first application of the Chrysler built version of the transmission. And presumably that's also the one going in the Durango V6. So all that experience and refinement with the LX cars does not necessarily translate into a smooth rollout for the GC / Durango transmission.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star

it has nothing to do with the trannys...its all in the tuning and electronics. Theres already been a few updates. Boy....talk about jumping to conclusions.....LOL

Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by Scottina11heat
it has nothing to do with the trannys...its all in the tuning and electronics. Theres already been a few updates. Boy....talk about jumping to conclusions.....LOL
Who's jumping to conclusions? All I've said is there are a lot of complaints about the V6 / 8-speed combo. Didn't say it can't be fixed.

Though from my Ford experience I'm skeptical it'll ever be perfectly fixed. My '06 Explorer's 6-speed, which was new for the Ex at the time of production, needed several major repairs and others still complain today about the upshift bump that was never fixed with software updates.

And my Focus's DCT.... major embarassment for Ford. Multiple software revisions, mass replacements of clutch packs, seals, etc. And still a LOT of unhappy campers today.

Hopefully it all works out but new owners have a higher risk of headaches in the first year of ownership as all the bugs are [hopefully] worked out.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 AM
Scottina11heat
All Star

no idea about those ford problems...but this is a proven tranny and design. So there will be none of those problems with the ZF for the V6. The V6's I have driven are absolutely stunning to drive. The V6 mated with the ZF is awesome and just as fast as the hemi with the 5/6 speed....FYI.

Search this Thread