4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

N08 Rear End Recall

Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 PM
jimf5
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation N08 Rear End Recall

Hi All:
I noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor an checked the truck,2009 1500 crew, and saw the rear end was a little wet with oil. It dawned on me I got a recall notice 6+ months ago about the rear end pinion nut coming loose and contacted the dealer for an appointment. I had to wait three days so I called the number on the recall notice. They were very nice but about as useful as a second bellybutton.

Dropped the truck off and asked the service rep. if they had the parts to fix the truck as the pinion seal needs to be replaced. His reply was they needed to check and see what the problem was.

They called back an hour later and said the pinion nut had come loose and caused the leak and the new nut with sealant was not available. THIS IS 6+ MONTHS AFTER THE RECALL NOTICE WAS SENT OUT. I have the lifetime warranty and they could cleanup the nut and put LOCKTITE on and it should be all rite until the replacement nut became available. The warranty has a $100.00 deductible and I could get my money back.

Now it is bad enough I had to shell out $100.00 but now in the back of my mind I keep thinking "Will the nut come loose again ?"
Any thoughts or comments?

jimf5

Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you the original owner? IF so then the lifetime powertrain should be covering the pinion seal - there is no deductible.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 PM
jimf5
Rookie

Yes I am the original owner. Service rep. said $100.00 deductible will check my original paperwork.

jimf5

Old 09-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So they just re-tightened it? And yes, they owe you your $100 back. I can't believe that the service writer tried to get away with this rip off.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimf5
Yes I am the original owner. Service rep. said $100.00 deductible will check my original paperwork.

jimf5
This is the warranty from 2009. No mention anywhere about a deductible.
http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/...etime_Warranty

Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Exactly what part is supposedly backordered and did they actually order it?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
jimf5
Rookie

HI All:
Went to the dealer this morning and saw the Service Manager. Explained what happened and he agreed that I should have been charged on my " Lifetime warranty" and not my "Extended Warranty". The dealer will send a check to me, no apologies, no nothing.

Thanks to all who brought the deductible to my attention.

"Dodge Cares"
They told me when they send the new Pinion nut they will contact me to install it. Again it is strange I have heard nothing since the notice came in the mail. I looked and can not find a date on it but it has to be at least 6 months.

jimf5

Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 PM
WESIDE
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I worry everytime I put my wife and child in my truck now. What if... What if...
How hard is it to get a damn locknut??? This isnt a recall, its wait until it fails then we will fix it. Bunch of BS if you ask me.. Also, whats the issue with the two different recalls? There should be one recall across the board. I want to recall my recall!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MiB Lu, now you see it, now you don't about it, lol!

OP, glad you initially found the problem before a catastrophic failure occurred. Usually it's the scenario of pulling off to the side off the road, and fetching your drive shaft sometimes.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:21 AM
ketleone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the dealer the other day to check on this recall since I figured there was no way they did not get the parts yet but still no parts. This is crazy. Why did they even bother sending out the notice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: N08 Rear End Recall