2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dual fuel tanks

Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual fuel tanks

So in my quest for all things better and bigger, I have this hankering for dual fuel tanks. I have the factory 35 gallon tank, but even that somedays can disappear pretty quickly when towing, and having a auxiliary to cut down trips to the gas station would be really nice.

I haven't found basically anything online, other than this might have been a option on Cummins trucks, and that my PDC has the relays for dual fuel tanks in both positions, one is used for fog lamps, and the other has wires heading heaven knows where out back.

So does anyone have any ideas on this? One of my friends put a Ford rear tank where his spare tire went, great idea, but I need my spare in the factory location. I don't want one in the bed, so I was thinking maybe putting one in front of the factory one, there's alot of space there!

And if there's a better way lemme know...

Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Where does the aux diesel tank go?

Wonder if you could just take a dodge tank, spin it 180, and mount it on the other side, opposite the existing tank? Would have to fab brackets....

Would also need a fuel line valve, to provide fuel to the rail from whatever tank is currently selected, having a single control deal with both which fuel pump gets power, and valve switching duties would be ideal. Although, two separate switches would make for another layer of security..... I suppose.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

JMO, but all that will do is add more weight (lower the tow capacity), and you'll also get less mpg's.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Gas in the second tank is weightless......

Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lol!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get a diesel, problem solved

Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why dont you get a small tank for in the bed? There is also bigger replacement tanks to replace yours. How many miles are you getting out of your tank now?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

transfer flow technologies makes an awsome setup, i have one in the 02, it does take up a little bed space but not bad and holds an additional 80 gallons, so a total of over 120 gallons is awsome! its fully automated with a controller and a digital display mounted in/on the dash, it shows gallons in the aux tank, gallons in the main tank, and total gallons overall, as well as system status, it has an electric pump witch comes on automatically to fill the main tank as needed, and takes over control of the factory fuel gauge and it reads as 120 gallons=full, 0 gallons=empty

Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Where does the aux diesel tank go?

Wonder if you could just take a dodge tank, spin it 180, and mount it on the other side, opposite the existing tank? Would have to fab brackets....

Would also need a fuel line valve, to provide fuel to the rail from whatever tank is currently selected, having a single control deal with both which fuel pump gets power, and valve switching duties would be ideal. Although, two separate switches would make for another layer of security..... I suppose.
I don't know where the aux diesel tank goes, that's why I asked

And remember I have a carb, so no rail

I've figured out how to manage two separate tanks, but not where to put the tanks and which tanks!

I don't know if my exhaust would be in the way on the other side or not. I'd have to check. I'm not scared to custom fab brackets.

Originally Posted by zman17
JMO, but all that will do is add more weight (lower the tow capacity), and you'll also get less mpg's.
I know it will add more weight and lower MPGs, but if we aren't towing we don't have to fill the aux tank.

As far as tow capacity goes, I'm not concerned as I will be swapping axles in the next year or so and I'm staying within 1000lbs of factory rating for towing anyways, and after axle swap I'll have suspension better than a 1 ton, so tow ratings aren't a concern. Good point though.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
get a diesel, problem solved
On the list for future mods! And that is serious, Cummins I6 is the candidate. I'll be posting the future plans for the truck sometime here on DF in the order I want to do them.

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Why dont you get a small tank for in the bed? There is also bigger replacement tanks to replace yours. How many miles are you getting out of your tank now?
I have a toolbox in the bed, and need to be able to remove the tool box fast, and having a tank in the bed would prevent me from using that space. When towing I get roughly 100 at the most Id guess. I just like the extra range when we are doing hay and time is precious.

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
transfer flow technologies makes an awsome setup, i have one in the 02, it does take up a little bed space but not bad and holds an additional 80 gallons, so a total of over 120 gallons is awsome! its fully automated with a controller and a digital display mounted in/on the dash, it shows gallons in the aux tank, gallons in the main tank, and total gallons overall, as well as system status, it has an electric pump witch comes on automatically to fill the main tank as needed, and takes over control of the factory fuel gauge and it reads as 120 gallons=full, 0 gallons=empty
I'd read about that and if it were under the bed I'd consider it, but I want it under the bed.

So thanks guys, I hope you don't think I'm trying to refute you all, I'm not, just want more ideas

Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could always steal ideas from a Ford with dual tanks...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual fuel tanks