2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Removal...Best Method

Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 PM
EFS463
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal...Best Method

Ok guys, I finally got the break I was looking for. I am a 19 year old technician at a local shop. Ive been there for a year now and my boss is finally going to test my ability and let me try to swap a motor on my own. I have a 10 hour shift on saturday and I am hoping to have it in, out, and running. In the past I have helped our master tech, so I know of the basis of engine pulling but I wanted to ask some of you a bit more wise a few questions.

Truck I am swapping is a 2001 Ram 1500, 2wd, auto trans. truck DOES have AC. Is there anything really that tricky about pulling the motors out of these second gens? I have never been around when one has been done in one of these trucks. any good trucks or tips you could provide me, or any helpful advice? my main question is, is it easier on these trucks to pull the engine and trans out together, or just pull the engine and leave the trans in the truck?

I am a bit nervous and want to impress my boss as well as beat the flat rate for it (about 13 hours), so any advice helps. I am very ambitious about my career as an automotive tech and I hope this goes smoothly. I cant see it taking me 13 hours to pull it swap over the parts and get her back in but thats why I want to check with you guys! Any information is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 AM
EFS463
Professional

100 views and no one has any advice I know some of you guys are 2nd gen ram engine swapping gurus!

Old 09-27-2013, 07:21 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The longest part of removing the engine should be disconnecting everything that needs it.

AC lines can be hung out of the way so you won't have to drain the system.

I'd start at the top, work down, than unbolt motor from the transmission and yank her out, I'm sure you have access to a cherry picker?

Probably get it out in an hour or so if all goes well.

Unless you need the transmission out I'd just leave it in.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Unbolt everything, yank it out. Leave the trans in as Stewie says unless it needs a rebuild. Not much to it.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 AM
EFS463
Professional

Thank you for the advice so far guys. It doesnt look like to bad of a job. I have not personally seen this truck, but I know the v6s arent very tight. Yes, I do have access to a cherry picker, and the truck will be on a lift so I can raise it up to get the bellhousing/torque converter bolts out of it. You dont need to move the condenser or trans cooler out of the way do you? I was going to pull the rad to give a bit more room but I was wondering if I had to move anything else. Alldata says to pull the intake but I dont see why you would have to pull the intake....

My only fear is if this motor is locked up. The last one I did in a sienna van the engine was locked up and I had to loosen up all the mains and rock the crank back and forth until I could get it to spin freely. SO hopefully it all goes smooth if I can do this on saturday in and out and running I am sure to get a pat on the back and a nice bonus!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

How about taking a bunch of pics along the way to document how to do it. Post up a engine removal how-to. Thats would be very beneficial to this site.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:49 AM
EFS463
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
How about taking a bunch of pics along the way to document how to do it. Post up a engine removal how-to. Thats would be very beneficial to this site.
You know, that is a great idea. All I have is my iPhone, but I think my iPhone probably takes pictures well enough to serve the purpose. Maybe I will take a bunch of short videos, and edit them all together and post it on youtube or some other video site so people can watch like a step by step.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever you do just post it here we love pictures

Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a leveler for the cherry picker? Granted, pulling a V6 will be much easier than pulling a V8, but an engine leveler will make the job more bearable.

Go ahead and remove the radiator "just in case", but the condenser and transmission cooler can stay.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM
EFS463
Professional

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Do you have a leveler for the cherry picker? Granted, pulling a V6 will be much easier than pulling a V8, but an engine leveler will make the job more bearable.

Go ahead and remove the radiator "just in case", but the condenser and transmission cooler can stay.
No, unfortunately we do not have a leveler....one of the other techs disappeared with it. This summer the master tech I I replaced 5 engines, and did it without a leveler...we did an engine in a ford truck that was a bear. So I am hoping the v6 with all the room in the bay will be easy enough to pull without a leveler or swivel chain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Removal...Best Method