3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Audio Question

Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Jonesy-1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Audio Question

Has anybody connected an aux input through the back of the radio(cd player) ? Or is it even possible?

Also, Anybody ever had trouble with stuck cd's?

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM
molokovellocet

Are you referring to the stock radio? I have the Infinity system in mine (2003 Ram 1500), and the stock head unit didn't have an auxiliary input, front or rear. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of them have a rear aux jack. I went ahead and replaced it with an aftermarket unit.

And I never had a stuck CD when I still had the stock unit.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:08 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Keep in mind that not every RAM came with the same radio. There is a 3 letter code on the face. Some had cd changers, some just had single cd players, and others, like mine, had a cassette and a single cd player. All that said, I don't think any of them had aux ports on them. My 04 did not and my wife's old 04 Jeep had the 6 cd changer version and it did not. The Infinity sound option did nothing to add an aux jack either. I recently replaced my entire head unit with one that has aux and usb (iphone) jacks. Prior to that, I used a Wally World cassette adapter (10 bucks) to play my iPhone dock through and was able to push xm radio, itunes, or pandora through that. I also found an adapter that does plug into the back of Chrysler radios that have the hookup for an external CD changer and it was made for ipods/iphones. It also had an aux jack on it. It fooled the radio into thinking the ipod was a cd changer and the audio quality was very good and it was controllable from the steering wheel controls. If you don't want to change out your head unit, I would recommend that option. I'd sell you my old one but I already sold it.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Rkymtnh
Professional

Originally Posted by Jonesy-1
Thanks!
Yes, all the time. The CD player doesn't even recognize the CD being in there either.
The CD will randomly start playing on start-up. That's when it gets taken out. It sucks !

Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jonesy-1

Forgot to address this question as well. My wife had the unit with the internal 6 cd changer and it eventually failed, trapping several CD's inside. I took it apart and found that the internals were mostly plastic and had just worn out. I was able to remove the CD's but the changer was shot. She didn't want an aftermarket head unit so I found an identical one online at a decent price and just swapped it out.

Honestly, replacement head units are not that expensive and are fairly easy to install with the right harness and most have much more tuning ability so they sound better even with stock speakers. But cost depends on what your truck is already equipped with. If you have steering wheel controls and want to keep them, there is an adapter you have to buy and add, and if you have infinity sound and want to keep it, you need another adapter to use as the wiring harness.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 PM
codiac
Professional

You can take a look at this post I did years back. Still working for me, I use it daily.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...ctory-rbq.html

Old 08-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Jackstep0832
Amateur

If one of my stock speakers stopped working for an entire day then the next day it magically started working again does this mean the speaker might be on its way out and need to be replaced soon??

Old 08-05-2015, 06:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speakers are seldom intermittent. Once they quit, they're done. It's more likely you have a flakey connection somewhere. Take the door panel off and see if the connector has gotten loose (also unlikely). You could have a broken wire in the door harness.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:41 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put in a terk sat radio adapter, then ran an RCA to 3.5mm jack cord out and just plug my phone in. Someone on here did a write up on it a while back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio Question